This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frustrated With Dr

MChase

MChase Apprentice

I just received my results back from my endoscopy and colonoscopy. Everything was negative. When I asked how many biopsies the Dr took, the receptionist said 7 (but only 1 in the small intestine). He did not do a blood test prior to the procedures. My PCP who referred me specifically said to test for Celiac. My instructions from the GI office is to continue Prilosec (which was giving to me Oct 3) and take Immodium and return in 3 months. I feel like the last 2 months have been wasted and no telling how much $$.

My choices are

1. Go back to my PCP and ask for a celiac panel. Dr visit: $100+ costs of blood tests (my annual blood tests run $125-200, so no telling how much a panel will cost).

2. Follow the GI instructions and be in pain for 3 more months and then pay $150 to see him again.

3. Go to another GI, which who knows how much that will be. Probaly $150-225 for office visit. Plus tests costs. My endoscopy/ colonoscopy was $1000 (hospital fee)+ dr fee+anesthia fee (haven't received bills yet).

4. Go gluten free and see how I feel.

Since the end of August to now, we have/will spend about $2500-3000 for my digestive issues and really didn't testing done that needed to be done. With our high deductible, this is all out of the pocket.

Crohns, Ulcerative Colitis, Cancer, Bacteria, etc has been ruled out. But now I'm wondering if that is bogus too since he ruled out Celiac.

The reasons I wanted a dx was so I know how careful I need to be, whether or not to get my son tested, and to have "proof" that im not crazy..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommy2krj Explorer

If I were you....I would talk to my regular Dr. since he seems to be on board with the Celiac thing. Let him know exactly what you put in your post about the lack of biopsies and that the GI was an idiot. Then ask him for the Celiac panel blood tests. Do the blood work then after giving the blood for said blood work I would go on a gluten free trial. Depending on whether you're willing to spend more money to go see a new GI doc for another round of biopsies. If you are, wait for the biopsies to be done and then do the trial gluten free.

How frustrating it is to have doctors that don't know what they're doing when it comes to this. There is actually a topic here in the forums devoted just to that....but I don't remember off the top of my head where it is.

Hope you can get some answers. Either from doctors that are doing a decent job or from your own trial and error.

Archived