Rate this topic

Have a question and was wondering if anyone knows an answer to this?  Each Friday - all my co-workers order pizza and each Friday I feel left out.  The pizza place  started serving Gluten Free Pizza - i was excited.  I called to ask them how it was prepared and to ensure that there was no cross contamination.  They told me it was cooked in the same oven as traditional pizza and any gluten that got on it would be burned off. Is this true?  Could gluten burn off a gluten-free pizza cooked in the same oven with traditional pizza?  I am very skeptical at this and very sensitive to the least little bit of gluten so I passed on the pizza.  The place I normally buy my pizza cooks the my pizza in a separate oven.  Any thoughts?

No, the gluten won't get burned off in the oven

You don't need a dedicated oven, but if there is more than one rack, the gluten-free pizzas must be baked on the top rack in a clean pan, preferably one used only for gluten-free baking.

For the record, gluten can be destroyed with heat, but the consensus is that you need to sustain at least 600 degrees for at least 30 minutes. You might do that to de-glutenize a cast iron pan. But not to food.  ;)

Besides it cooking on the top rack, if it is cooked on pans rather than on screens, which I imagine would be almost necessary for a gluten free pizza the risk would be minimized during cooking. Unfortunately, based on what they told you it seems that they are utterly clueless. Using things like shared bins for toppings and shared utensils for cutting is a sure recipe for disaster. The fact that they didn't mention this at all means that they probably have no clue what they're doing when it comes to preventing CC.