This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dh And Uv Exposure

nicolespeanut

nicolespeanut Rookie

I am just curious if anyone notices a reaction with UV light? I do not have DH (linear IgA bullous dermatosis) but the diseases are so similar just wondering if Dh sufferers react to sun. Thanks! Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jhmom

I do not think that UV lights would irritate it, I think it would only be skin products or foods that would trigger it?!?!?? (could be wrong tho). Have you been diagnosed with Lupus?

nicolespeanut Rookie

Had a positive titer first ANA test, negative ANA next test. All other test ruled out Lupus. Dr. didn't think UV light should bother me and I was just curious to know if it bothers people with DH.

Guest jhmom

I don't know if you saw a regular doc or a rheumy but I would suggest a Dermy to take a look at that rash and do a biopsy.

Take care

• 1 year later...
frenchiemama Collaborator

Yes, it does me. (Unless I also have something like polymorphic light eruptions in addition to DH).

I have come to the conclusion this week that sunlight worsens my DH. I've noticed before that it always seemed to get worse in the spring and summer (leading my doctor to believe that it was an allergy). But this week it really became clear. I normally work the night shift, and my DH has been doing great. Then this week I had to switch to working days and I work outside about 75% of the time. That first night after working outside all day my DH completely flared up. And this must also be why it's never as bad first thing in the morning.

Matilda Enthusiast

tonyevans Newbie

I believe it does.

I was DH biopsy positive before I was also diagnosed as Celiac Biopsy positive. So for a couple of years before I didn't know I had DH and was not on any medication. I was in the "self help" stage of a very itchy skin condition.

I routinely travelled by ship from New Zealand to Japan and Sth Korea. A voyage lasting 14-16 days.

The voyages were made starting late in the NZ fall, so temps were moderate and my DH was not a problem.

As we came closer to the equator my DH got progressively worse and as we progressed further North, away from the equator the symptoms reduced.

We reached Japan in their early Spring so temps in both Japan and NZ were around 20 deg C but at the equator they could be close to 40 deg C at 1 pm

Undertaking the voyage when I was on medication, I still had minor reactions in the hotter climates

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Does a higher SPF sunscreen help at all? I'll slather myself with SPF 35 three times a day if I need to. Right now I use 20 (but admittedly, not every time I go outside. That changes today though).

lovegrov Collaborator

There's no doubt at all that DH is aggravated by hotter weather.

richard

Well I went out and got myself some SPF 50 today, and I don't intend on going out in daylight hours without it. Let's see if that makes a difference.

cdford Contributor

Mine reacts to the sun, but also to the sweating. Another possibility is that you may be reacting to something that you might not otherwise react to dripping onto the skin as you sweat.

cdford Contributor

Be sure your sun screen is gluten-free if you have dh. Not all are.

• 3 weeks later...
num1habsfan Rising Star

OMG! Now I know why I have been breaking out more! Yesterday I broke out in lots of DH from the arms/shoulders to my back, and normally if I eat lactose after a while they go away, but they havent so I assume it IS the sunlight/heat!!

Thanks for realizing my mystery :P

~lisa~

mommida Enthusiast

I have seen people sunburned by flourescent lights.

Laura

Archived