Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Rosiesallergies

Is Scoliosis Related To Celiac?

Rate this topic

Does anyone know if Scoliosis is related to Celiac disease somehow? 

I keep finding older  posts and articles showing people who have Celiac have had a scoliosis diagnosis when they were young. Malabdsorption seems to be the suggested connection. I'm hoping to find medical articles or genetic tests showing some type of connection that I can bring to the doctor. 

Any thoughts? 

I dug around in some journal sources and was unable to find anything other than the anecdotal evidence you say you already found.  That doesn't mean that there is not a link, it just means there has not been a published study.  Now, if you want your doctor to know about the celiac- osteopenia link and also the osteopenia-scoliosis link, you can find articles on both of those through a quick google search.  Compared to more common things like heart disease, diabetes, etc., celiac disease really has not been studied that much.  Maybe we will get there in the future :)

My 11 year old has Osteoporosis from undiagnosed Celiac. She also has mild scoliosis, which is being watched very closely because of her low bone density. So in that sense, I think it is related. Her bones are very thin and the doctors seem to think that is reason to watch for the scoliosis more.