Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Rosiesallergies

Catholic Communion - Low Gluten Host

Rate this topic

I'm sure other people have already addressed this issue, but I cant find it. 

I'm trying to see if the low gluten hosts used by the Catholic church are safe.The ingredients are wheat starch and water. They don't meet the 20ppm standard, so I'm concerned.  Does anyone take the low gluten host? Any problems from it? 

Some Catholic churches insist the Host has to have wheat to be valid, and some are more lenient. As it is, the "low" gluten Host WILL hurt you.

According to Roman Catholic doctrine, for the communion to be valid, the wafer must contain wheat. All Roman Catholic churches are required to follow that rule. We are not here to debate whether that rule is right or not, since it simply is the rule. Period.

A valid communion can be in either kind, so you can receive the wine and not the wafer.

Religion is a very difficult topic to discuss without personal opinions coming into the debate. Truly, I just need advice to  see how other Celiacs safely attend mass and take the sacraments. My church isn't clear on how it works. I'm trying to see what works for others so maybe I can ask for those changes too. 

Thanks for confirming that the Low Gluten Host is not safe. 

Does anyone take the wine instead of the host? I'm not sure how the wine would be safe. I know the priest breaks a host to put in his wine challace, but I thought some of the other challaces used did not contain any of the host. Assuming I'm considering taking the wine challace that does not have the host in it. Wouldn't the fact that the people ahead of me who take the host and then drink the wine make the wine challace contaminated and unsafe as far as gluten is concerned? 

Religion is a very difficult topic to discuss without personal opinions coming into the debate. Truly, I just need advice to  see how other Celiacs safely attend mass and take the sacraments. My church isn't clear on how it works. I'm trying to see what works for others so maybe I can ask for those changes too. 

Thanks for confirming that the Low Gluten Host is not safe. 

Does anyone take the wine instead of the host? I'm not sure how the wine would be safe. I know the priest breaks a host to put in his wine challace, but I thought some of the other challaces used did not contain any of the host. Assuming I'm considering taking the wine challace that does not have the host in it. Wouldn't the fact that the people ahead of me who take the host and then drink the wine make the wine challace contaminated and unsafe as far as gluten is concerned?

You just jump up to the front of the line for wine. You don't need a big gulp, just touch the wine to your lips. A drop is all you really need. Or you may be able to get your priest to give you your own little Dixie cup or maybe you provide a wine glass that he can bless on the alter. The key is to talk to your priest.

I wouldn't recommend drinking fro the wine goblet.  I used to dip my host into the wine... Maybe that was a progressive Catholic church?  But, I would follow Kareng's advice and talk to the priest about your own cup or make sure you're first in line (but maybe still talk to the priest so he knows what's going on).