Rate this topic

i was officially diagnosed with celiac disease about 3 years ago.

6-7 years ago, i began taking a medication for ADD/ADHD. it's called amphetamine salts and the manufacturer is TEVA.

6 years ago, i began having muscle atrophy in my left hand. and, over the last 6 years, the muscle atrophy and fasiculations(sp) have progressed to the point of a diagnosis of ALS (lou gehrig's disease).

i looked up this ADD/ADHD medication's ingredients and one of them is cornstarch. i've heard cornstarch can have gluten in it.

could this really be ALS? or have i been unknowingly glutening myself over the last 6 years to cause these severe neurological problems??

i didn't take the medication today…and won't until i know for sure. this is my last ditch effort to prove it's not ALS.

i hope i can get some replies soon.

Teva is very good about answering questions. One of the medications I take daily is manufactured by them. Simply give them a call tomorrow and tell them the name and dose of the medication and they will tell you if it is gluten free or not. And no, cornstarch in medication isn't an issue. Just so you know, if they consider it to be gluten free, the best you will get is a statement that basically says that the drug has no gluten containing ingredients but that they never make any guaranteed gluten free claims, which is a CYA statement by them so no one can sue over it.

thanks for responding.

i've been looking for a list of ingredients in prescription drugs that DO have gluten. seems easier than looking through all the do's and donut's...

Hi curiousgirl,

Have you had your blood work ran lately to see if you may have been accidently glutening yourself, like you mentioned? It might be helpful for you and your doctor to find out if any of your celiac related numbers are elevated. Best of luck to you.