Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

khaaser

Gluten Free Backpacking Meals

Rate this topic

My daughter and I will be going to the BSA High Adventure Philmont Ranch this summer in New Mexico.  We will be on the trail for 9 days and need to provide our own substitutes for gluten free meals.  I have never tried to back gluten free for this long of a period.  I am interested in learning what others do in this case.  We will be on a Cavalcade or horseback.  The Philmont staff will deliver anything we bring with us in the periodic restocks they give us for meals during the trek.  Our trip is in 2 months.  Thank you so much in advance,

This is all new to me, also, but I hope I can help a little bit.  I'll be traveling soon within the US, but I want to avoid restaurants and getting sick.  While at Target today, I made two great discoveries - Justin's individual servings of almond and peanut butter and GoPicnic meals.  Each meal contains about 350 calories.  They are similar to a Lunchable. I bought three different ones to try.  The Justin's almond butter/maple syrup was very good and cost $1.19 each.  The GoPicnics are 2 for $7.  Both products had great reviews on Amazon.com. 

There are some gluten-free freeze dried backpacker meals. The kind you add hot water to. If they are bringing it to you every day, you could do things like canned tuna, instant rice, etc.

Beef  jerky, crackers,  seeds & nuts  , there are  many gluten-free  freezer dried  meals   from  various  vendors...  Dried  fruit,   protein bars all make  good  snacks  or light  lunches.... we  really  like  many of the  freeze dried  breakfast  , & dinner  meals....If  there  is a  ranch hand  cooking  meals  perhaps  they  can  do  meats  plain for you?  bacon, eggs  safe... 

Regular peanut butter (check to make sure it's gluten free - many but not all brands are), gluten-free pasta (sam mills is cheap, and the string pasta is incredibly space efficient), maybe some premade sandwhiches or just bread.

Backpacking shouldn't be too much harder than usual, I've done several week long trips.