Rate this topic

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm go ahead anyway :

I used to post in this forum a while back for my mother. She was having chronic severe stomach pain, with chronic diarrhea and some other strange symtoms. Her tests came back negative for celiac, but we tried a gluten free diet anyway. The pain vanished. She's been doing great since. Now, I'm here for me. I've always felt nauseous. I can't remember ever feeling not "sick" . I can't get a GP to take me seriously as I'm 18 years old, and half the time it's blamed on hormones or anxiety. I do have anxiety, but because I feel horrible all the time (a thing that most doctors don't seem to understand) After the gluten free diet helped my mum, I started on it. My appetite increased, but no change in my nausea. Last June, the nausea was so bad, I was at my wits end and didn't want to be here anymore. That seems so silly, but I felt that bad. I lay in my bed for about 1 week dry heaving, barely managing to eat one grape. My mum even threatened to put me in hospital to get a feeding tube. The only thing I remember eating a lot of before this happened was peanut butter, but I don't know if that was a coincidence.  Luckily, my gastroenterologist prescribed me Ondansetron, and that eased it slightly, but didn't take it away.

I keep getting this overwhelming sensation that I've missed something, and I don't know what! Food allergies run in my family, so I asked my GP if I could get tested for any food allergies (I get the sensation of a hair in my throat, or a swelling) and he said you can't test for an allergy without knowing what you're allergic to. My cousin got tested for food allergies by skin testing, and he came back allergic to a ton of things, so I don't understand this. Anyway, I'm rambling... does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with me? If you need more info, I'll answer, thanks for reading :)

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm go ahead anyway :

I used to post in this forum a while back for my mother. She was having chronic severe stomach pain, with chronic diarrhea and some other strange symtoms. Her tests came back negative for celiac, but we tried a gluten free diet anyway. The pain vanished. She's been doing great since. Now, I'm here for me. I've always felt nauseous. I can't remember ever feeling not "sick" . I can't get a GP to take me seriously as I'm 18 years old, and half the time it's blamed on hormones or anxiety. I do have anxiety, but because I feel horrible all the time (a thing that most doctors don't seem to understand) After the gluten free diet helped my mum, I started on it. My appetite increased, but no change in my nausea. Last June, the nausea was so bad, I was at my wits end and didn't want to be here anymore. That seems so silly, but I felt that bad. I lay in my bed for about 1 week dry heaving, barely managing to eat one grape. My mum even threatened to put me in hospital to get a feeding tube. The only thing I remember eating a lot of before this happened was peanut butter, but I don't know if that was a coincidence.  Luckily, my gastroenterologist prescribed me Ondansetron, and that eased it slightly, but didn't take it away.

I keep getting this overwhelming sensation that I've missed something, and I don't know what! Food allergies run in my family, so I asked my GP if I could get tested for any food allergies (I get the sensation of a hair in my throat, or a swelling) and he said you can't test for an allergy without knowing what you're allergic to. My cousin got tested for food allergies by skin testing, and he came back allergic to a ton of things, so I don't understand this. Anyway, I'm rambling... does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with me? If you need more info, I'll answer, thanks for reading :)

Welcome back!

I remember you and am pleased to hear your mother has improved gluten-free. Since she improved gluten-free and tested negative for celiac disease, she is either non celiac gluten intolerant or celiac (can't remember if she had endoscopic biopsies or just blood work while ingesting gluten).

At any rate - you need to be tested for celiac disease and find a new allergist. Allergy testing is indeed specific to food or environmental items, but it is a simple blood test. Additionally the skin prick tests are fairly simple. Me and my kids have all had them.

A few words of caution....if you are having throat swelling or trouble breathing with unknown cause - you need to carry epi-pens. Your primary can prescribe these while you are trying to find a new allergist.

Hang in there :)

Welcome back!

I remember you and am pleased to hear your mother has improved gluten-free. Since she improved gluten-free and tested negative for celiac disease, she is either non celiac gluten intolerant or celiac (can't remember if she had endoscopic biopsies or just blood work while ingesting gluten).

At any rate - you need to be tested for celiac disease and find a new allergist. Allergy testing is indeed specific to food or environmental items, but it is a simple blood test. Additionally the skin prick tests are fairly simple. Me and my kids have all had them.

A few words of caution....if you are having throat swelling or trouble breathing with unknown cause - you need to carry epi-pens. Your primary can prescribe these while you are trying to find a new allergist.

Hang in there :)

Hi again! She just had the blood test, but she is doing so good now!

I got tested for celiac too (I forgot to mention that) and everything came back negative. I live in the UK, so I'm not sure if we have allergists here, I've just spoken to my GP about getting food allergy testing, and he seemed a bit clueless. I could speak to my gastro about in, as I've got him again on the 20th of this month.

Really?! My GP just implied that I was imagining the whole situation. I went through a phase of getting very breathless, but thought it was my asthma. Could this be an allergic reaction to something?

Hi again! She just had the blood test, but she is doing so good now!

I got tested for celiac too (I forgot to mention that) and everything came back negative. I live in the UK, so I'm not sure if we have allergists here, I've just spoken to my GP about getting food allergy testing, and he seemed a bit clueless. I could speak to my gastro about in, as I've got him again on the 20th of this month.

Really?! My GP just implied that I was imagining the whole situation. I went through a phase of getting very breathless, but thought it was my asthma. Could this be an allergic reaction to something?

Unfortunately, many of us received the...it's all in your head, due to hormones, stress, overworked....etc....etc....etc.

If you know your body is not working correctly..don't take that answer...keep looking :)