Rate this topic

Since going gluten free, despite negative biopsy and bloodwork, I think that overall I am feeling ... better.  I have had some health blips since stopping gluten, and I think sometimes it would be easiest to blame having inadvertently eaten some gluten.  But, I can't blame gluten for a stomach flu with 101 fever!  

I am by and large, feeling better.  Constipation has gradually disappeared, and the D is much less.  This is a great change.  I have lost and kept off 8 pounds.  I am interested to see if this has any effects on thyroid, liver enzymes and the A1C test at my next appointment.  

Unfortunately, I have some vasculitis happening, which I wrote about in an earlier post, which can have a gastric component.  The purpura rashes are waxing and waning, but are less severe. 

Lastly, though I have been pretty good at avoiding gluten, last week I mistook couscous salad for quinoa salad.  I only recently started eating quinoa, and had never before eaten couscous.  It looked the same to me (I did not cook it).   When I realized my error, I thought this will be an unintentional test for whether my avoiding gluten is a panacea or a placebo.  I wound up with explosive D.  I still intend at some point to eat a very gluten-filled meal as the true test, but honestly, the thought of pizza, pasta, sub, etc. isn't appealing, so I don't know when and what that gluten-filled meal will be. 

So for what it is worth, this is my update.

Thank you Cycling Lady.  In eliminating gluten, in real life, I feel very alone.  My daughter is sympathetic and my husband goes along with it, but I cannot stop (nor would I) them from ordering the occasional pizza or sub.  I have taken this on for myself, and do much more home cooking than ever, so I can control the gluten. In a small way, they benefit as well since they are getting less gluten.  It has been an adjustment for all of us, for sure.  

Again, thank you for your comment.  It does make me feel supported in this, even tho it is an exercise in trying to feel better, and not born of a diagnosis.

Ah, feeling alone. This is why most of us hang around on this forum! My husband is gluten-free, but does not want to talk about it all the time and my best celiac buddy moved out of state. Found an old acquaintance who was recently diagnosed, but it is hard to get together even for lunch because of work and family schedules. This forum is accessible 24/7. So, talk away!

Oh, my husband has been gluten-free for 13 years. After my dx, the house went 99% gluten-free. I was too sick (anemia, fractures, unstable thyroid) to keep vigilant eye on the kitchen. It is much easier than before. Daughter eats her gluten outside the house. Want a croissant? We stop by the bakery. Though she willing eats my home baked gluten-free goods. Says it is better than store bought. Problem now is that I am on a low carb, high fat diet for diabetes (yes....another recent illness) and my daughter hates it. I am no longer baking. Hubby is okay since he is losing weight and improving his cholesterol testing results. He still wants apple cupcakes!

I keep telling myself that it could be worse.