kshell

Sound Like Gluten Sensitivity?

Rate this topic

My curiosity continues to grow. I am a nurse, and we all know nurses have a tendency to over-research and self diagnose. However, from my early twenties until recently, I've noticed so many symptoms that point to gluten sensitivity. I always thought I was super sensitive to sodium, seeing as how I swell so easily after eating processed foods and how I swelled up so much during both of my pregnancies. I've also had a sensitive stomach for the majority of my life. I've noticed within the last few years that I am having more and more symptoms of gluten sensitivity (i.e. bloating, swelling of the body (thighs, face, hands, etc), increased anxiety after ingesting gluten, lethargy, irritability, depression, a very difficult time losing weight regardless of diet and moderate to intense exercise.) I had an EGD in January of this year, and my stomach biopsies were normal. Blood pressure is always 100/60ish, pulse in the 70s. Electrolytes within normal limits. I've attempted to eliminate gluten from my diet completely over the past month or so. Yesterday, I snuck a bite of my child's cheese quesadilla (on a flour tortilla), then quickly spit it out. I woke up this morning feeling extremely swollen, tired, lethargic, with general malaise. Do these symptoms sound like gluten sensitivity to you all? I would love to know for sure from folks who suffer from this and have the diagnosis. Thanks.

Maybe you should continue to eat gluten and get tested for Celiac? I would think you would want to know if you have an autoimmune disease or not. Because Celiac is genetic, This would help your kids, too.

Who will be hurt if you do not get tested?  Since auto immune is genetically linked, your family might need to know.  If my niece had not been formally diagnosed, I would not even be here, and already doing well...but there is no one I can hurt by not getting diagnosed, and no medical/insurance to be compromised by not having a diagnosis.  I value doctors, but they are not the God we should seek, regardless of how they might feel about themselves.  Doctors are not infalliable, and many here have suffered from their doctors not being willing to look at the whole picture.

You have to do the work anyways...it's all on you what you eat. It always has been.  The information wasn't public enough for many of us for too long. As a nurse, you know just how the system works.

If eating gluten makes you too ill to work, and you need to work to survive, you have already reached your decision, and do not need to blame yourself for not getting tested.  If you can get tested first, do!