This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Has Anyone Else Experienced This Before?

glutenfreemomma188

glutenfreemomma188 Apprentice

Hey guys,

I wanted to see if anyone out there has has this issue. Ever since I got on my gluten free diet, I find myself having random zap sensations in the oddest of places on my body. It only lasts for a matter of seconds but is kinda freaking me out. I have gone to a doctor for this and they did a series of blood work on me and all of which came back good. I also had an MRI done and that came back good too. They want to do a nerve test on me to see if I have symptoms of m.s. However, I am thinking this might just all be because of Celiacs disease. When I went back unto gluten for a gluten challenge, I found that the zaps seemed to improve. Any idea what this could mean too?. My thought is that I am lacking in some area. However, I did have my levels for all of my vitamins etc. Checked and that was fine too. What do you think could be causing this and has anyone else experienced this?.

Thank you in advance.

Mrs. Anderson

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

user001 Contributor

I think there is a bit of detox symptoms related to cutting out gluten, im no expert its just something i have heard. How long has it been since your challenge?

A few weeks. However, when I was first put on the gluten free diet before full diagnosis from a biopsy, I was off of gluten for 17 months and still had it.

user001 Contributor

That is very strange. I have had strange skin sensations and those have improved greatly since going gluten-free. The bone pinches however have not, magnesium seems to help that. I would say that there must be something in the way of vitamins that they are missing. Some people have said there is nerve damage that can occur, i feel like that would explain something like that.

HavaneseMom Explorer

I used to occasionally get zap type shocks that would run from my shoulders up my neck before I went gluten free. I never asked a doctor about it, but thankfully it hasn't happened since I stopped eating gluten. It sound like yours improve when you do eat gluten though??? I'm not sure why that would be happening.

Ya, the only thing I can think I can think of that is causing it, is perhaps that my diet isn't as rich in nutrients and vitamins like a gluten filled meal. ??.

I do agree that it could be nerve damage.

When I was off gluten for the 17 months, I would get numbness in my feet and hands too, that is what actually caused me to make an appointment with the neurologist. But once again, when I went on the challenge, the numbness disappeared and the only change I made was ingesting gluten again. Could a lack of fiber cause this?

user001 Contributor

I developed some numbness/ circulation problems for the past month or so (after 4 months or so gluten-free) But it is already starting to improve i think.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived