Jump to content
  • Sign Up
jayman6

I Think I Ingested Gluten...now What?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

About 8 weeks ago I had a scope done and my doctor said my biopsy was inconclusive but he saw minor signs of beginning celiac disease. I have been gluten free ever since and actually began feeling a lot better. Up until this point I've continued to eat things that had no gluten ingredients and continued eating at restaurants and was just fine and not sensitive to cross contamination (at least that I'm aware of to this point) as long as the food was not made with gluten-containing ingredients. Two days ago I went to a restaurant with a potential employer so I did not want to be picky about what I ate (although I realize that was a mistake). I ordered a salad that was marked as gluten free but the dressing they brought me was not the dressing listed on the menu. I know this was stupid, but I took a chance and ate it anyway. Yesterday and today I have not felt very good, although I also don't feel extremely bad as I once did while I was regularly eating gluten. I'm not interested in hearing about how this was a stupid mistake because I already know that, but I'm wondering whether I've completely set back the last 8 weeks of going gluten free or if since the dressing was a small amount I will begin to feel better in the next few days or weeks.Does anyone have any personal experience with how long accidental ingestion of gluten takes to sort of clear out and how long it takes to start feeling better again? Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry you are sick. 

 

Recovery times vary a lot. Some people do not get a single symptoms while others are knocked back for weeks.  Hopefully you'll feel better within a week or so.

 

L-glutamine is supposed to help with intestinal lining healing.  Sleep and fluids tend to help too.

 

Best wishes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, I feel bad for you to have been stuck in that position.  I totally understand.  Honestly, when it comes to getting "glutened", everyone is different.  I don't get conclusive symptoms after accidentally ingesting it, and some people get violently ill.  But either way, damage is still being done to the small intestine, so some people have smaller reactions when they get smaller amounts, but not always.  Since you are newly diagnosed and still healing, think of it as peeling off a scab before it is ready. (sorry if that is gross!) It will take a bit to smooth out.

 

Getting to know your own cycle of symptoms upon gluten exposure is a good thing to do, you may even want to journal your symptoms and after a few times you will know what to expect after you realize something went wrong and is already in your tummy.  Hopefully a few others will add how they deal with glutenings on here, but just eat plain whole foods like chicken, rice, and veggies until you feel better so you don't aggravate your upset system.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can never tell to what degree my symptoms are going to be based on the amount of gluten ( cc v.s a full on exposure).  My worst pain was from a full on exposure a few weeks after my diagnosis.  The symptoms follow a pattern for me though - pain,nausea,vomiting,diarrhea - which then quickly turns to constipation after the D, women issues, muscle/joint/nerve pain, and the awful brain fog. It seems the longer I go between glutenings though, the longer my symptoms stick around.  I am on day 8 right now and still a mess after a cross contamination.  I also have really bad bloating right now  which I haven't had a lot of.  One nice thing though is I no longer get the debilitating migraines that I got before diagnosis.  I was diagnosed a little over three months ago but had my appendix out and some other health problems also.

 

I take Pepto ( I have bottles everywhere, purse, car, fridge, bathroom, bedroom, my parent's) I also take anti-nausea meds, and a heating pad is my friend for the pain. Drink lots of water!! Like Laura said you do really want to go easy on your belly after a glutening, jumping right in again to regular food just seems to prolong the discomfort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...