murosens151

Wondering About Symptoms And Testing

Rate this topic

Hi,

I am wondering if I could possibly have celiac.  It is something I have come across when I was searching my symptoms, which include:

- amenorrhea (6 months, no period, confirmed not pregnant)

- diarrhea, abdominal pain, very bloated

- low hematocrit level on CBC

- very tired/lightheaded often

Please let me know what you think.  I am also looking for advice on how to talk to my doctor about getting tested (which I would like to do) since she has not brought it up or suggested celiac as a possibility. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.  Those could be celiac symptoms but they could also be symptoms of other things also.  Have you been checked for other deficiencies?  Had your thyroid checked? 

If I were you, I would have a celiac panel drawn.  Push for the whole panel and not just a few tests, you have a better chance of diagnosis that way.

Here are the tests:

Tissue Tranglutaminase IgA and IgG

Total IgA

EMA IgA and IgG

DGP IgA and IgG

If your tests are negative and you still feel that gluten is a problem for you, you can always eliminate for an extended amount of time and see if you improve and then eat some gluten and see how you react.  If you are having stomach symptoms due to gluten now, you will notice after a reintroduction after some time off. 

Good Luck