Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little background, I cannot tolerate artifical sweeteners like those in diet drinks and candies. They upset my stomach very badly. I am seeing Stevia pop up in certain foods and I'm wondering 1) if it is generally considered safe for celiacs and 2) if it is like regular sugar as far as effects on the body and digestion. I have no problem with regular cane sugar but I'm allergic to corn (ie corn syrup) and  I can't do anything artificial. From what I've read Stevia isn't artificial but I can't really tell anything else about it other than that. Thanks for any help!

"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

A little background, I cannot tolerate artifical sweeteners like those in diet drinks and candies. They upset my stomach very badly. I am seeing Stevia pop up in certain foods and I'm wondering 1) if it is generally considered safe for celiacs and 2) if it is like regular sugar as far as effects on the body and digestion. I have no problem with regular cane sugar but I'm allergic to corn (ie corn syrup) and  I can't do anything artificial. From what I've read Stevia isn't artificial but I can't really tell anything else about it other than that. Thanks for any help!

Well Stevia should always be gluten-free since it is a natural extract from a plant. I would still check the label though just in case they added flavorings or it is processed on shared equipment (the usual deal).

I will say though that I do not tolerate artificial sweeteners either and had high hopes for stevia. Unfortunately my body reacted to it very poorly and I got all the same issues as I do with other artificial sweeteners. Major bloating, cramping etc

Just FYI I've had the same reaction to monk fruit extract as well in case you are thinking of trying it as well. I guess I just have to stick to the real stuff!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter