Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StClair

Test Results--Confused

Five weeks post-diagnosis and my doctor ran some tests. No h pylori, thank goodness, but according to my online chart two blood tests came out with concerning results. I've asked for clarification, but no response yet. My Vitamin B-12 is abnormally high, 1222, and my Alanine Aminotransferase is 33. The maximum numbers for this one are controversial, according to the report, and some labs consider it to be as low as 19. Both of these values, according to my online searching, *may* indicate some problem with the liver. Today I received a call telling me to make an appointment with Digestive Diseases for hydrogen breath testing for fructose, glucose and lactose. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the test results. Waiting to hear from my doctor.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Have others had similar results at this stage in the healing process? Thanks in advance for any comments.

Celiac Disease, diagnosed April 1, 2015

Migraines, Esophagitis/Gastritis, Lower Digestive Issues, Osteoporosis, Anxiety, Arthritis, etc--some improving.

DQ2.2 and DQ2.5 trans

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It isn't unusual for some of us to have liver impact from undiagnosed celiac. If that is what is causing the elevation in your tests it should resolve after you have been gluten free for a while. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

I have really high B-12 levels (2,000+) and folate too. I freaked, but my docs have not. Because I have kept records for 20 years, I found that they have always been high. I do not have cancer or liver disease. I did some research and found that I probably have a methylation problem (thanks, Dad!). So, I make sure that I do not take any additonal B12 in supplements (vitamins, soymilk, etc.). My levels have gone down but are still high. (I was surprised at how much b12 is added to processed food and my soymilk brand was full of them but I found a brand that adds nothing to the soymilk.).

If you take supplements, consider methylated sublingual ones. You could still be considered deficient. Depends on your symptoms (I had tingly legs which has resolved).

Raven is right about liver issues often resolving once healed. Celiac disease impacts so many areas of the body!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I don't know what I would do without you guys! Thanks for the replies. Even though my doctor has not responded, I feel much reassured now, thanks to you. I'm not scheduled for the hydrogen breath testing for another month, but I guess I can wait until then to get an official word on these test results. Hoping of course to be feeling better by then, at the 2 1/2 month mark. One reason I was worried is that I have a close friend with autoimmune hepatitis. She's beating the odds so far, but it's a scary disease. Grateful to have so much control in our situation--we can choose to not ingest gluten. Really wish it was as straightforward for her.

Celiac Disease, diagnosed April 1, 2015

Migraines, Esophagitis/Gastritis, Lower Digestive Issues, Osteoporosis, Anxiety, Arthritis, etc--some improving.

DQ2.2 and DQ2.5 trans

Join eNewsletter

Glad we are being helpful. It wouldn't hurt to urge your friend to get tested for celiac even if she doesn't have any symptoms that she thinks could be celiac symptoms. You never know if she might be a 'silent' celiac and it wouldn't hurt to rule it out. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter