Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mfarrell

Confused- Help

I have been reading through a lot of these posts yesterday and today.   I have very few symptoms, I don't get extremely ill if I accidentally eat something with gluten in it so it is hard for me to know for sure if a restaurant, etc..... didn't prepare the food properly, therefore I am not sure if I am receiving additional damage to my intestines.  So on with my question.  My husband drinks beer (not gluten free) and yes I kiss him.  Some have posted that it's not a big deal and some have said it is.... Which is it?  I am trying to be totally gluten free (it's only been 2 months since diagnosis) so with conflicting posts I am just wondering......

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

To be a bit gross but - If he has gluten in his mouth, and gives you a peck on the cheek - fine.  But if he or you want a "deeper" kiss, whatever is in his mouth is in your mouth.  So, if you would not  drink the beer or eat the Whole wheat bread -then you have a problem.  

As for eating out - maybe don't for a couple of months?  Give your intestines a good chance to heal.  Even if you knew you got gluten, it would have the same effect.

Join eNewsletter

When my husband drinks beer, I won't kiss him until he brushed his teeth and rinsed his mouth out.  Even then, I wait a while otherwise it just FEELS risky... waiting is probably overkill.  ;)

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

To be a bit gross but - If he has gluten in his mouth, and gives you a peck on the cheek - fine.  But if he or you want a "deeper" kiss, whatever is in his mouth is in your mouth.  So, if you would not  drink the beer or eat the Whole wheat bread -then you have a problem.  

As for eating out - maybe don't for a couple of months?  Give your intestines a good chance to heal.  Even if you knew you got gluten, it would have the same effect.

Ok I think I understand the kissing part as far as waiting a few months.... I have a work trip planned in July and will be gone for 7 days.  There is a whole foods store near the hotel and I will get a cooler for the room but I am sure we will have to go out to eat once or twice with the big wigs.  I have done a lot of research and there are quite a few restaurants and bars with gluten free options. (some of these places have gluten free beer I have never heard of) 

Join eNewsletter

When my husband drinks beer, I won't kiss him until he brushed his teeth and rinsed his mouth out.  Even then, I wait a while otherwise it just FEELS risky... waiting is probably overkill.  ;)

My husband will be fine with this but I am afraid we may forget from time to time until we get used to it.  We just made 6 years married and still kind of honeymooners! lol

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter