Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

liya

Celiac Disease, Muscle Spasms And Hand Tremor

Rate this topic

Greetings I live my life with Celiac disease and Hashimoto thyroiditis. I used to be in Synthroid as well as Cytomel for my thyroid condition but started developing muscle spasms in my right arm that at times have a jerking type of tremor or involuntary movement. An MRI has ruled out Parkinsons and other conditions. Could the gluten in the Synthroid have contributed to this. A month ago I started out on a compounded T4 and T3. I do take magnesium dose up to bowel tolerance, Selenium, Vit D3, K2, B12 methalated form with folate not folic acid. Take Zinc and Potassium as well. Eat Gluten, dairy, legume and mainly grain free bar for Basmati rice and from time to time I will have butter beans. I have sweet potatoes and vegetables, protein in the form of fish, beef and chicken no pork, only have a portion the size of the palm of my hand. I have started with qigong tapping first thing in the morning and each time a spasm starts to develop. This seems to help in some way. I would love to know if anyone else experiences the jerk like spasms or tremor. Best wishes and thanks for any feedback

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I get a mysterious spasm in my left shoulder, but nobody has been able to explain to me why.  I don't know if it is the same.  My muscles began to ache from gluten exposure before diagnosis.  Also, my doctor told me that it seems I had suddenly lost all muscle tone and she didn't know why.  It seems like you are carefully analyzing your diet and disciplining yourself, I wish you well in your healing.

I had a problem with tremor for years, but magnesium helped.  My doctor also recommends it for muscle spasms, so I am not sure why it isn't helping you.

Dee

Join eNewsletter

I get a mysterious spasm in my left shoulder, but nobody has been able to explain to me why.  I don't know if it is the same.  My muscles began to ache from gluten exposure before diagnosis.  Also, my doctor told me that it seems I had suddenly lost all muscle tone and she didn't know why.  It seems like you are carefully analyzing your diet and disciplining yourself, I wish you well in your healing.

I had a problem with tremor for years, but magnesium helped.  My doctor also recommends it for muscle spasms, so I am not sure why it isn't helping you.

Dee

Hello Dee

Have you ever thought of having your thyroid checked out.   Over and above gluten that could cause white spots on the brain that contributes to neurological disorders, low levels of cortisol due to adrenal issues could lead to loss of muscle tone and to the spasms.   

That is part of what I have learnt the last few weeks.  There is a great book to read called "Why Isn't My Brain Working" by   Dr. Datis Kharrazian.

I find that using a magnesium causes a drop in my already low levels of cortisol and makes me feel very tired.  I take my thyroid medication at bed time but for now am taking my magnesium on alternate days to see if I can cope with it after a meal.  I take just enough magnesium as per bowel intolerance.  I started with 4 capsules.  Had stomach runs then went down to three at a time and find that to be ok.  So that is the dose I take from time to time.  I also often have an Epsom Salt bath.  I just switched to a gluten free thyroid medication a month ago so will see if that changes anything in future for me.

Best wishes and thanks for sharing.

Liya

Join eNewsletter

Hi - you may want to look up something called myoclonus to see if this fits your symptoms.  I had this, but it is now controlled with medication.  I still have minor hand tremors but not the spasm/jerking you're referring to.  I was diagnosed with celiac 5 1/2 years ago and the myoclonus did not improve despite being 100% gluten-free.  The spasms and jerking were interfering with my sleep as well.  Do you get them in your sleep also?

Life throws us curve-balls sometimes, but if we didn't have challenges we would become too complacent and forget to respect the value of life itself.

Join eNewsletter