Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

ENF

Cheerios Recalls 1.8 Million Boxes

Rate this topic

I know that this has been mentioned today in another Cheerios thread, but I would like to make sure that everybody sees it.  This is a huge embarrassment for General Mills, and I hope that they train their employees properly in the future so that an incident like this never happens again.   It's a Class One Recall.  

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/05/general-mills-recalls-cheerios-for-allergen-issue.html

http://www.cheerios.com/Articles/Gluten Free Cheerios.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAjwv8iwBRC35-_e8aPqwCESJAB8khP9ccH4T_ileNgMznUDeqkHQ6TbQuw9SM21J52j52zWNRoC6vLw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have several boxes which were not on the list, but I don't know whether previous boxes were.  We called General Mills, and they don't know where the boxes went, there's no tracking available.  The cross-contamination issue happened in their Lodi, California plant, so I doubt that it came to NYC where I live.  I have had digestive issues lately, but I've been sick with a very bad cold and it could be from the medicines, or a stomach virus - but for all I know, I could have been glutened and I've been eating "gluten-free" Cheerios every day.    

Celiac diagnosis from positive blood work & endoscope (2005)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 Subtype 2,8 (double Celiac genes)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Thanks! 

Whew!  No Cherrios for us!  I was holding out because of so many conflicting reports.  But that is not true.  I do not eat any grains because I am a diabetic and grains spike my blood sugar.  So, no cereal for me.  Hubby, who is gluten-free, can not have cereal because he is on a Low Carb High Fat diet to improve his weight and cholesterol levels and he eats what I cook for him.    I do feed my gluten-eating kid Trader Joe O's and she prefers them to Cherrios.  Go figure!  :wacko: I make her eat them in her dedicated cereal bowl which is washed with a dedicated sponge because --- yes, I do not have a dishwasher.   Her Joe's O's now are the only gluten item allowed in the house.  I finally converted her over to gluten free pasta (actually there was no choice!) 

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter