This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

increased lymphocytes in biopsy 8 years after gluten-free living

HOd

HOd Newbie

Hi,

I recently had an upper endoscopy which revealed "mild increase lymphocytes but no villous blunting - marsh grade 1". This is a big improvement over what I experienced 8 years ago when Celiac was originally diagnosed, but I'm wondering if it's normal to continue to have these lymphocytes in the gut, or whether that's an indication that there's still gluten exposure. Does anybody have experience with this?

Thanks. H.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rrmac Apprentice

Following 

cyclinglady Grand Master

Congratulations on at least improving!  Did they also run a celiac panel to  to determine if gluten has caused this?  I understand that there area any things that can cause intestinal damage ("What else can cause intestinal damage".  University of Chicago celiac website.)

This is an interesting subject.  From my latest research, it appears that many Celiacs do not heal.  Either they continue to blatantly consume  gluten or they are getting glutened and do not know it.  

Here is some interesting reading.  It is about new drugs being developed and cites the inability to heal for many quoting Drs. Murrary and Fansano: 

(Okay...can not link via my iPad on celiac.com, so Google it -- "Fansano, Murray, celiac no intestinal healing")

I personally suspect our food sources.  I think manufacturers are making mistakes (e.g. General Mills/Cherrios) and we are getting gluten (traces) maybe even in gluten free foods.  I am not trying to stir things up, but humans who make mistakes are manufacturing foods or preparing them.   It can happen, rare, but possible.  

I was glutened in July (confirmed by follow-up blood tests by my GI) and still do not know what glutened me.  I have a few suspects (something my gluten-free hubby never consumes), but am not willing to test them out.   I am waiting for the new celiac drugs to come out.  I used to think that it was  best to avoid drugs and eat whole foods, but it would be nice to travel and take medication to prevent a glutening.  A girl can wish, huh?  In the meantime, I do my best to avoid gluten.  I am not ready to buy a farm and raise all my own food.  

I hope you continue to heal!  

Archived