Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Maddi

Gluten sensitivity

Rate this topic

I'm tested negative to celiac but I seem to be really intolerant to it. I've given up 95% processed foods and only eat processed foods with 1-2 ingredients,  in an attempt to get my health back and I have been doing well until last night... my insomnia, hot flashes, and anxiety all came back out of nowhere. All of which are the symptoms I get when I've been glutened. Yesterday I went out  with my bf and he ate pizza...then we held hands and I then ate apple chips without washing my hands. Could that have gotten me glutened? Also, I have been lazy about rewashing plates at his house and having my own seperate plates and silverware. I used a fork which I usually only way with spoons... (forks have more hidden spaces so I stay away from them). Could this really be from cross contamination?  Do any other non celiacs with a gluten sensitivity react to miniscule amounts of gluten? This is very very frustrating. I know it's worth it though bc anxiety sucks but it is all very frustrating bc you don't know where the source is coming from. 

Large amounts of gluten give me insomnia, panic attacks, anxiety, headaches, tingling extremities, hot flashes, nausea and dizziness. So it is mostly neurological. It's just so hard to believe that I'm this sensitive to such small amounts of gluten. /: it seems almost impossible to avoid it. I've recently started vegetable juicing and making my own water kefir, hoping that it will help me digest foods. Any thoughts? 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

22 minutes ago, Maddi said:

I'm tested negative to celiac but I seem to be really intolerant to it. I've given up 95% processed foods and only eat processed foods with 1-2 ingredients,  in an attempt to get my health back and I have been doing well until last night... my insomnia, hot flashes, and anxiety all came back out of nowhere. All of which are the symptoms I get when I've been glutened. Yesterday I went out  with my bf and he ate pizza...then we held hands and I then ate apple chips without washing my hands. Could that have gotten me glutened? Also, I have been lazy about rewashing plates at his house and having my own seperate plates and silverware. I used a fork which I usually only way with spoons... (forks have more hidden spaces so I stay away from them). Could this really be from cross contamination?  Do any other non celiacs with a gluten sensitivity react to miniscule amounts of gluten? This is very very frustrating. I know it's worth it though bc anxiety sucks but it is all very frustrating bc you don't know where the source is coming from. 

Large amounts of gluten give me insomnia, panic attacks, anxiety, headaches, tingling extremities, hot flashes, nausea and dizziness. So it is mostly neurological. It's just so hard to believe that I'm this sensitive to such small amounts of gluten. /: it seems almost impossible to avoid it. I've recently started vegetable juicing and making my own water kefir, hoping that it will help me digest foods. Any thoughts? 

Hi!  How were you tested for coeliac disease?  If it was a blood test, they are not very reliable (and you may still have coeliac disease - although you need to be eating gluten for at least 6 weeks on a daily basis for you to get a reliable result. The best way of getting checked is by having a biopsy.

Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.

Despite all, remaining positive!

Join eNewsletter

Hi Maddie!

I could be starving and have some apple chips in my purse, but I would never eat them without first washing my hands.  You could have been glutened simply from cross contamination.   I make my kid wash her hands when she comes home from school or anywhere where she has had gluten exposure.  Make me feel better, lowers the risk of cross contamination, and we help to avoid the flu and other nasty bugs (school is germie)!   We all wash our hands when we come home from anywhere.  

Not much is known about non-celiac gluten sensitivity, so who knows?  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter