Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Donna73

Biopsy and nerves

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed via blood test with celiac back in October.  I originally made the decision not to have the biopsy. All my blood tests were positive, and were very high.  But, I have had ongoing pain and my GI wants to do the biopsy to get a baseline on damage. As he put it, he has never seen numbers as high as mine with a false positive.  He said that if my biopsy comes back negative, it simply means i have done really well on gluten free, but he is not expecting negative biopsy.  I was given the diagnosis without the biopsy.  And he is not asking me to do a gluten challenge, which is good news for me.

Im really freaked out about having the endoscopy.  He said Im not put out like surgery, and its more of a twilight.  Just the thought of it makes me thinking im suffocating.  I had surgery when I was 16 and it has caused a great deal of medical anxiety. What is the endoscopy really like?  I keep thinking I should cancel.  Its scheduled in  2 weeks.  2 weeks to think about it and cancel if I want to.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

A colonoscopy is much worse in terms of prep.  I still can not drink lemon gaterade without shuddering!  ? I went in the morning.  I was talking to my doctor while I was being prepped  and all of a sudden I was in the recovery area!  It was that easy!  It is also good to have him check for other things like an ulcer or SIBO.  It might not just be celiac disease only.  Remember too that you are new to the diet and takes time to heal.  You might even consider a dietician's' help to figure out if you are accidentally ingesting gluten.  

On my other post to you, I told you about my glutening in July.  In August, I was in my GI's office asking for a follow-up antibodies test.  I had anemia at the time I was diagnosed and no tummy issues to speak of.   This time I had lots of intestinal pain.  My GI suspected SIBO or a blocked bile duct, but it was just celiac disease.  I just needed another month or two to heal.  

Enzymes (including lactose ones) helpd temporarily.  

Take care and try not to worry!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Hi Donna,

do not worry! When they did my colonoscopy it was just as you described like a twilight. It does not hurt, you do not really know what is really happening and once you are done you are just happy that you do not have to think about it any longer that you forget that you had this unusual experience. Do not cancel it!

Join eNewsletter

Hi Donna

I do understand your concern.  I had never had much in the way of surgical intervention and had never had a sedative and was seriously freaking out about it.  Would you believe it, in the UK it is quite routine to have an endoscopy without any sedation at all - my friend was dx'd this way - so I was thinking, I want that too!  I have an inbuilt distrust of sedation.

So I went round asking all and sundry what they would do if they were me and everyone told me to stop stressing and just have the sedation.  My gastroenterologist told me that it would be like getting drunk, great fun, without the hangover afterwards.  As I have never got drunk (alcohol gives me a headache instantly) that didn't really sell it to me.

When the awful day came I went into the hospital and my pulse rate was sky high.  Don't worry I was told, you have white coat tachycardia (i.e. terror of doctors - too true).   When they stuck this thing in my arm and gave me the sedation I was thinking it isn't making any difference.  I remember chatting to the medical staff who told me to relax, not to worry, they had been practising doing endoscopies all day and by now were pretty good at it. 

But in fact all I remember is it was over in a flash.   I was told afterwards I was talking throughout the procedure - I feel so sorry for the staff as it must have been total nonsense.

I am very glad I had it as it proved beyond all doubt what was wrong with me, and showed that I did have very damaged villi.  I think perhaps that is why my recovery hasn't been that quick.

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter