Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

jeslk

Vommitting

Rate this topic

i would love any thoughts about some recent episodes I've had. 

Background is that I was diagnosed with celiac disease in 2011.  It's always been described as "silent celiac" because I have never had symptoms and felt fine even at diagnosis.   My doctor ran the test because of some vitamin deficiencies.  I went strict gluten-free immediately and am very careful when I eat out (which is rare since I'm also vegan and it's a tough combo).  My husband and daughter are not gluten-free, though, and while they are very careful, I'm sure I've been glutened over the years.

Fast forward to the week after Christmas I went to a restaurant for dinner.  It's an Italian restaurant with gluten-free options. I've eaten there three or four times in the past and never had any issues.  This time, though, I got violently ill about two hours after dinner.  There up everything and then had an achy stomach for a couple of days.  I assumed it was food poisoning. 

Tonight, however, the exact thing happened but at a different reataurant. This place was new - had many gluten-free options and they seemed knowledgeable about cross-contamination.  Yet, two hours later I was throwing up on the side of the road.  I got it all out of my system and now don't feel great but don't feel nauseous anymore either.

Mom staring to wonder if I have now gotten to the point where I do react to gluten.  Has anyone had this happen where silent celiacs become symptomatic in such an extreme way?

im also following up with my doctor next week. 

Thanks. 

Jess

Jess

Celiac Dx through blood work and biopsy, Feb. 2011

Also Dx Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (2006) and Thyroid Cancer (2011)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yep!  I was anemic forever when I went for a routine colonoscopy (yes, I am old).  GI suspected celiac disease.  I said no way!  I had no tummy issues when I ate bread!  Two and half years later, I was glutened badly.  No clue still as to what got me (suspect one supposedly gluten-free medication and one gluten-free labeled product).  I was vomiting, ab pain, all the classic celiac disease symptoms.  I was sick a month later when I went to my GI and my antibodies were higher than when I was first diagnosed.  Took me two months to feel better (not having pain eating anything!) and another month to get dairy back (Yep, became lactose intolerant).  Everything is good now.  But I will not dine out and I am super careful.  I pretty much have gone to a whole foods diet.  

I will be forced to dine out this summer (vacation out of the country), but I think the risk will be worth it!  

Best way to confirm is to ask for a celiac disease antibodies re-test.  If negative, then you just picked up a case of food poisoning or something like the rotovirus.  

Hope you will feel better soon.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

It seems once you heal, even a little, you react more violently after glutening.  I am very careful and rarely eat out.  Still, I have unexplained abdominal pain periodically.  Sugar is another culprit as it feeds so many organisms.  A temporary yeast overgrowth can make you feel miserable too.  I've noted a correlation in my chronic pain levels when consuming too much sugar (in any form).  I try to limit my starch (potato, rice, pasta) to 1 small serving daily and my body seems happier with that.  Eating healthy is getting tough in our "grab-as-you-go" society!

Debbie

Join eNewsletter