janequ

weight gain

Rate this topic

I have an 18 year old son, 6' 3" and weight 145 lbs. He was diagnosed 9/2014 with Celiac Disease. He cannot keep weight on and now eats less and less. He also has a peanut allergy. I had a nutritionist tell me his weight is fine, the GI doctor says he is underweight, almost malnourished. Any help or comments?

Has he had an endoscopy that show whether or not his intestines have healed?

Has he had recent blood tests that show whether his antibody levels are back to normal?

Why is he eating less and less?  There are plenty of foods one can eat while avoiding gluten and peanuts.

There must be more to this story.  As a teen, is he diet compliant (gluten free)?  Has this been confirmed with follow-up antibody testing?  An endoscopy?  Does he have any other food intolerances besides his peanut allergy?  Does he have any GI symptoms that may be making it hard for him to eat (eat = pain)?  Has anorexia been ruled out (that is extreme, but slightly possible)? 

He is underweight per the BMI chart.  Healthy meats, fish, fats (butter, nut, coconut oil, olive oil, bacon, fat drippings, lard, cheeses, cream) along with vegetables and fruit can put on weight as long as his intestines are healed.

First, make sure he is physically  healed from celiac disease.  He may need to go to strictly whole foods diet for a while if he is eating lots of processed junk gluten free foods.   Celiac disease is tough to handle socially, so addressing emotional issues could be helpful too.  

Edited by cyclinglady

Thank you for responding. I cannot say he is 100% compliant. I know he is when at home, but I am not sure how closely he follow his diet while out. I know that he is smoking and that can be a factor as well. The GI doctor recommended 3000+ calories a day a year ago. He had gained 9 lbs. but then worked last summer in construction 10 hours a day in the heat. He lost all the weight he had gained and has not been able to put it back on. He says now if he tries to eat larger meals his stomach hurts. I can see that he is not eating enough to make a young adult full. I try to have him drink 3 serving of Ensure or Boost a day, but he does not always comply. When I hug him I can feel all his bones protruding, it is breaking my heart. He has not had a follow up endoscopy and refuses to go back to the GI.

It sounds like gluten could be getting into his diet.   I would encourage a follow-up celiac blood panel.

In Dr. Alessio Fasano's Gluten Freedom, he writes about a teen who was getting worse.  He swore to his parents that he was gluten free.  Dr. Fasano spoke to the teen privately who confessed that he was dating a girl and was eating gluten because he did not want his date to know that he was different (had celiac disease).  

Dates, friends, all that peer pressure to fit in.  We have all been there as teens.  An eighteen year is considered an adult, but we know that the brain (the decision-making) process is not fully developed until 23 or 24 years old.  He needs to get in board with his health.  Maybe, he will just have to hit rock bottom.  

But is he living in your house?  We tell our kid that she will not be considered an adult as long as she lives with us or is getting financial support.  Until then, she follows our rules or she is out.  Her choice.  I do not know your situation, but we take a tough approach.

I hope  you are able to get him help.  My heart goes out to you.