kjsriter

common history of symptoms for celiac?

Rate this topic

I've had obvious GI issues for almost two years now that have made me sick. I've been diagnosed with everything from SIBO, Fructose Malabsorption, and lactose intolerance. My blood test for Celiac came back negative but I had been trying to be mostly gluten free and only adding gluten back in again for 3 days when the blood test was done. Regardless of what treatment I get or what diet I'm on (mostly Low Fodmap), I can't seem to find complete relief from bloating, upper right quadrant pain, bathroom issues, heartburn, joint pain, lethargy, thirst, dry skin, skin rashes... The list goes on. What I'm curious about is if diagnosed celiacs have had any common symptoms in their history as mine: early onset of joint issues (from childhood), frequent yeast infections, infertility issues, irregular periods, appendectomy, and now seemingly culminating in all these things making me feel constantly ill on a daily basis. Should I ask my doctors to reconsider celiac, considering I have a terrible habit of cheating (just a little) with gluten in my diet or sometimes not even realizing I might be ingesting it when we eat out or if I'm not diligent about checking labels?

I've had obvious GI issues for almost two years now that have made me sick. I've been diagnosed with everything from SIBO, Fructose Malabsorption, and lactose intolerance. My blood test for Celiac came back negative but I had been trying to be mostly gluten free and only adding gluten back in again for 3 days when the blood test was done. Regardless of what treatment I get or what diet I'm on (mostly Low Fodmap), I can't seem to find complete relief from bloating, upper right quadrant pain, bathroom issues, heartburn, joint pain, lethargy, thirst, dry skin, skin rashes... The list goes on. What I'm curious about is if diagnosed celiacs have had any common symptoms in their history as mine: early onset of joint issues (from childhood), frequent yeast infections, infertility issues, irregular periods, appendectomy, and now seemingly culminating in all these things making me feel constantly ill on a daily basis. Should I ask my doctors to reconsider celiac, considering I have a terrible habit of cheating (just a little) with gluten in my diet or sometimes not even realizing I might be ingesting it when we eat out or if I'm not diligent about checking labels?

Everyone has different symptoms.  My only symptom was heartburn and when I went gluten free after diagnosis my heartburn did improve.  I was not eating gluten free prior to my blood tests as I was certain that I did not have celiac (wrong again!).  You definitely need to have been eating gluten for a longer period than three days for the tests to be accurate.  There are many, many symptoms of celiac disease and it sounds like a good idea to get a more accurate diagnosis.  Good luck!

You really need to get properly tested and that means you will have to do a gluten challenge:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge/

Many females diagnosed with celiac disease have a history of infertility and there is a yield of screening infertile individuals for celiac disease.

Patients often have a vast array of symptoms and complications, not justone symptom. Here is a list which is not exhaustive. Patients with thesesymptoms warrant screening for celiac disease.

https://celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu/celiac-disease/definition-and-clinical-manifestations