Rate this topic

I recently had lab tests and an endoscopy done. My fecal anti-gliadin test came back at 380 units (normal is less than 10 units) but my endoscopy was clear (negative for Celiac's). My GI told me I had non-Celiac gluten sensitivity. Eliminating gluten from my diet has helped tremendously. I read that sometimes the endoscopy can be wrong; should I worry about this?

As as a result of all this, I had my children tested too. Their fecal anti-gliadin test results were 115 units (5 years old) and 40 units (20 months old). Their pedi GI scheduled an endoscopy, but is an endoscopy really necessary? What is the benefit of knowing if it's Celiac's or just gluten sensitivity if they will already be eliminating gluten because of my diet? I'm trying to inconvenience my kids as little as possible while still gaining an accurate diagnosis. 

I recently had lab tests and an endoscopy done. My fecal anti-gliadin test came back at 380 units (normal is less than 10 units) but my endoscopy was clear (negative for Celiac's). My GI told me I had non-Celiac gluten sensitivity. Eliminating gluten from my diet has helped tremendously. I read that sometimes the endoscopy can be wrong; should I worry about this?

As as a result of all this, I had my children tested too. Their fecal anti-gliadin test results were 115 units (5 years old) and 40 units (20 months old). Their pedi GI scheduled an endoscopy, but is an endoscopy really necessary? What is the benefit of knowing if it's Celiac's or just gluten sensitivity if they will already be eliminating gluten because of my diet? I'm trying to inconvenience my kids as little as possible while still gaining an accurate diagnosis. 

Stool test are not considered valid for diagnosing Celiac disease.  I am surprised the doctors schedules an endoscopy based on that.  

..."Harvard, UCSD, and the American College of Gastroenterology all agree that stool tests are simply not sensitive or specific enough methods in screening for celiac disease...."

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/why-dont-you-recognize-tests-stool-tests-or-otherwise-for-gluten-sensitivity-that-are-currently-available-through-companies-like-enterolab-or-cyrex/