This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Roadtrip planning - help

absullivan6

absullivan6 Rookie

We depart for our annual family vacation in 2 weeks and I'm trying to prep appropriately for my son. The last time we went on this trip he was not yet diagnosed.

We will be in the car for approximately 10 hours traveling north. I am VERY hesitant to trust a restaurant, especially while traveling as the last thing I want for him is to be glutened and sick in the car.

How do you prep for travel? I am already thinking of the usuals like PB&J, crackers, hummus, fruit, etc. but would love any other suggestions. Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

i bring a cooler and usually make up a sandwich or two, depending on how long we will be traveling.   those are all good ideas.  a box of chex, maybe applesauce or snack pack puddings?  and cheeeeese....   :) 

cyclinglady Grand Master

It will be easy!  I just survived a three week trip to Europe and I did not get glutened!  We took a seven day cruise.  Lovely.  Staff well trained about keeping celiacs safe.  On land, we ate at only restaurants recommended by Celiacs online.  Not a lot of choices, so we ate at grocery stores: fruit, veggies, cheese, meats, yogurts, chips (crisps).  We just found a place to picnic and I hauled around my tote/cooler filled with ice from the hotel.   I even resisted food prepared by our family in Poland.  I felt that they did not understand the cross contamination issue.  

A car vacation is even easier.  We have a super insulated cooler.  I prep foods like salads: chicken, tuna, egg, or potato.  Basically, whatever can be eaten at home.  On the road, we have even purchased Udi's frozen dinners and nuked them at the hotel (Target has them even!)   Lots of choices!  

Have fun!  

CaliforniaGranny Newbie

I totally get your dilemma. If you want to eat "out" Try a web search of gluten free restaurants in the areas you will be traveling through. They will tell you which restaurants have gluten free menus or if there even is a completely gluten free place to eat. For example, Lancaster, PA has a bunch of places that serve gluten free. Always check it out before you order and explain how important it is to be completely gluten free and the consequences of cross contamination. If you don't feel,comfortable, don't stay. If you are traveling in Ventura County California there is Lure Fish House. The have dedicated gluten-free food prep and a lot of gluten-free selections. 

sdlane Rookie

Not sure where you're located, but I've had great success with the protein style burger at In-n-Out (with ketchup and mustard instead of the secret sauce) and fries.  You MUST tell them he's a Celiac, so it's made with fresh gloves in a different part of the kitchen.  Fries are usually safe as they don't have any other products in the fryer that contain gluten.  I also eat at Chipotle a lot too and the same....tell them he's a Celiac and they'll wash their arms/hands, change gloves and use that one "safe" person to follow you down the entire line instead of handing you off from person-to-person.  I've never been sick there either.  All their spices are gluten free...the only thing they have with gluten in it is their tortillas.  As far as traveling by car/plane, I usually bring hard boiled eggs, gluten-free Kind Bars (Open Original Shared Link and Justin's peanut butter packets (Open Original Shared Link).  In fact, I keep the Kind bars and peanut butter in my purse 24/7.  Good luck and have a great trip!  xoxo

cyclinglady Grand Master
54 minutes ago, sdlane said:

Not sure where you're located, but I've had great success with the protein style burger at In-n-Out (with ketchup and mustard instead of the secret sauce) and fries.  You MUST tell them he's a Celiac, so it's made with fresh gloves in a different part of the kitchen.  Fries are usually safe as they don't have any other products in the fryer that contain gluten.  I also eat at Chipotle a lot too and the same....tell them he's a Celiac and they'll wash their arms/hands, change gloves and use that one "safe" person to follow you down the entire line instead of handing you off from person-to-person.  I've never been sick there either.  All their spices are gluten free...the only thing they have with gluten in it is their tortillas.  As far as traveling by car/plane, I usually bring hard boiled eggs, gluten-free Kind Bars (Open Original Shared Link and Justin's peanut butter packets (Open Original Shared Link).  In fact, I keep the Kind bars and peanut butter in my purse 24/7.  Good luck and have a great trip!  xoxo

Here's my two cents about In-In-Out.  Just make sure it's a newer store that has a few extra grills.  I grew up with this chain.  Some of the older stores just have one grille.  So, always ask to be extra safe.  The order/recipt will specify "gluten allergy".  

CaliforniaGranny Newbie

I forgot all about In-N-Out.  If you ever travel north from Orange County, try Lure. They are in Agoura, Camarillo, Ventura, and ?Santa Barbara. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived