Rate this topic

Knowing that the reaction to gluten in celiacs is an uncalled for immune system reaction, I was thinking of how a cure would be possible. Maybe a medicine that somehow turns off the immune system. The only thing that i've heard do that... HIV

obviously that's way worse than celiac. Just some food for thought.

Well HIV undermines the entire immune system as I understand it, so that would be akin to using dynamite to put out a kitchen fire! There is some work going on to try and retrain the immune system to not see gluten as a threat though:

http://www.immusant.com/docs/ImmusanT DDW Data Release FINAL 5.24.16.pdf

I'm laughing as I write this imagining the conversations you could have with people as you tell them you'd like to contract HIV so that you can eat a decent sandwich :D

HIV doesn't turn off the immune system, it destroys it to the point where most people die from complications that arise from having no immune system.  Some end up with pneumonia or cancer, which takes their life. It is pretty amazing the treatments they have developed for it, to slow it down and give people longer, quality time.

I am perfectly content with the gluten free diet as my treatment and honestly, if they developed a pill that they claimed would make it possible for people to eat gluten again, I doubt I would. I could not bring myself to eat a food that I am genetically programmed to not be able to digest and that totally pisses off my immune system.  However, if they succeed with some of the meds they are working on now, one of which I posted about earlier this summer, I would take those.  They are working on things that modulate the immune system down so inflammation can be tamed down further.  Even with a strict gluten-free diet, there will always be more inflammation for us than for those who don't have AI diseases.  I do everything possible to tame it down myself but it isn't in the normal range.....yet. Long term inflammation can kill you so something along those lines would be welcome.  You would still have to eat gluten-free but the disease activity would be calmed down.  This is a drug that targets those with lupus and maybe Sjogren's....which I have.  There are possibilities for other AI diseases from that!

6 hours ago, Jmg said:

I'm laughing as I write this imagining the conversations you could have with people as you tell them you'd like to contract HIV so that you can eat a decent sandwich :D

LOLOLZ!!  but, dang, that was a Good Sandwich :D