Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, razzle5150 said:

Is Coffee gluten free?

plain coffee is no problem, There are reports of some flavored coffee not being. 

I always assumed plain coffee was, but I have seen some controversy online about this. I know someone who is gluten free and only buys whole beans and grinds them herself because she doesn't trust how the grounds are processed.

I think the idea of grinding your own at home stems from the thought that flavored coffees might be ground on the same machines.  The grinders in the grocery are not cleaned between uses.  However, I have not found a flavored coffee bean that had gluten, so it's probably not a real concern.  For coffee that comes from a factory ground, I wouldn't worry at all.   Machines would be cleaned between flavors and nothing but coffee could be made on the machines or even in the same building ( everything made would taste/ smell like coffee).

if you still have doubts -

I went to the International Celiac Disease Symposium a few years back.  This is held every few years in different countries for medical professionals that study and treat Celiac.  They present research, etc.  All food served was gluten-free.  We drank a lot of plain, already ground, coffee!  A lot!  

Coffee is not on any lists as a gluten containing food.  Talking legitimate organizations - not some blogger or pseudo- science website.  

After all this, if you still doubt that coffee is gluten free...... Then don't drink it!  It leaves more for me!