jessz

New here, Is it Celiac or other issues (long post)

Rate this topic

Hi everyone! 

I am new to this site and just started reading posts on the forum and figured I'd make my own. I am 21 and have had serious digestive issues for about 6 months, which doesn't sound like a long time but it's felt like it's been much longer!  Symptoms really started 6 months ago randomly, one day I ate what I normally do but I suddenly got extreme stomach cramps and continuously had to go to the bathroom. Those symptoms continued for a week and anytime I tried to eat the stomach pain got worse. After research I figured it was IBS and I cut dairy out of my diet and tried limiting gluten and also started a low FODMAP diet. I started keeping a food log and the symptoms disappeared after following a strict bland diet and cutting out dairy and cutting back on gluten. After that I got stomach pains and other wonderful issues that go along with that every so often but they didn't last long and would come and go.  Then about 1 1/2 months ago I had a really bad "flare up" or something and couldn't eat or drink anything without having sharp and burning pains all over my abdomen. I kept having the urge to go to the bathroom and couldn't leave my house. I ended up losing 22 pounds in a few weeks and figured I should see a doctor. I went to immediate care and they did a CT and blood tests which all came back normal. They suggested I see my physician and a gastroenterologist. I just saw my physician 3 weeks ago and my GI appointment is coming up on August 9. My physician ran more blood tests and did celiac testing since it runs in my family. All of them came back normal except for the igg which was abnormal. My physician said that the gastroenterologist can follow up and confirm the diagnosis. I went gluten free for 3 weeks and just recently my symptoms almost completely subsided except for constant nausea. Once I realized that being on a gluten diet is necessary for all testing I started eating gluten again and immediately symptoms have been coming back. I have body aches, dizziness, mental fog, stomach pains and soreness, and fatigue. I'm just wondering if this could be celiac or if there are other issues as well since I get stomach pains and digestive issues from eating other foods besides gluten. Sorry for the long post but I'm just curious! Thanks for the help!!

We aren't doctors, and of course you can't really know until after the endoscopy, but it sure sounds likely, based on the description of your symptoms.  Keep eating gluten until your test.  Only nine more days!  Repeat the mantra of "The Little Engine That Could"---'I think I can, I think I can.'  Do come back and let us know what you find out, either way!

The gastro needs to know that you were & had been gluten free at the time of the blood test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whatever you do, continue eating gluten (not gluten light) until the endoscopy!!!!