Rate this topic

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.  I have been eating toasted Udi's gluten free cinnamon raisin bread the last few mornings with either butter or almond butter.  This morning, right after eating it, I started having uncontrollable, violent fits of coughing and choking.  I was finally able to drink a lot of water, then I had a Ricola lozenge and took some ibuprofen, and my system finally calmed down.   I had this same experience several years ago after eating some gluten free Van's waffles.  Has this happened to anyone else?  I'm at a loss, as I've never reacted to butter or almond butter this way, and not to the ingredients listed on the Udi's package, unless I have an undiagnosed sensitivity to something.  This was scary, needless to say, I will be avoiding Udi's products. 

Sounds like you may be alleric to something in both products. Next time you are at the store compare the ingredients of each to see if they have one in common that you don't think you eat in other products.. 

It might be a good idea to schedule an appointment with your doctor for a referral to an alergist to be on the safe side.

It's all very frustrating.  I had the skin prick tests done last year and they told me I had no allergies, but I have reactions all the time, such as itching, watery, runny, itchy eyes, digestive issues, stomach cramps, IBS-type symptoms,  mental fogginess, etc.   I had blood tests done by a naturopath a few years ago and my worst food intolerance was wheat/gluten by far.  The naturopath found several other reactive foods but said most of them were mild compared to my reaction to gluten.  I looked online at the ingredients for both products, but it's confusing, the main ingredients shared by these two products were brown rice flour and potato starch.  I've used brown rice in baking with no problems, it could be the potato starch, which I don't often use, but I don't have any reaction to eating real potatoes.  

Thanks for the suggestion.  I made some key lime bars yesterday and used Bob's Red Mill one to one flour mix, which contains xanthan gum.  I ate quite a few with no issue, so I don't think that's it. 

I have had a bad reaction to this bread before. I thought it might be the citric acid or the enzymes. I don't know what sodium alginate it and I avoid guar gum. Also I thought modified food starch was like MSG but I may be wrong. MSG makes me very ill.

INGREDIENTS: WATER, RAISINS, POTATO STARCH, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, BROWN RICE FLOUR, DRIED CANE SYRUP, TAPIOCA STARCH, EGG WHITES, CANOLA OIL, YEAST, CINNAMON, TAPIOCA MALTODEXTRIN, GUM (XANTHAN GUM, SODIUM ALGINATE, GUAR GUM), SALT, CULTURED CORN SYRUP SOLIDS AND CITRIC ACID (MOLD INHIBITOR), ENZYMES.
CONTAINS EGG