Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):


Join eNewsletter


Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):



Join eNewsletter
0
tammi22

withdrawal from gluten

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

hi,

i've been 2 weeks gluten free now. however i am currently having symptoms and so i have been searching around for withdrawal symptoms and i seem to match them - Diarrhoea, pains, fatigue... However tonight i've had symptoms of red face, headache and some Brain Fog (no bloating yet!!!) but i have not eaten anything with gluten in. and i'm wondering 1) if this is withdrawal  and 2) i have had tomato passata and orange juice (not together lol) and i'm wondering if the acidity may have triggered of these 'withdrawal' symptoms

please help i'm concerned i've accidentally eaten it and i dont want to be Unwell anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):


16 minutes ago, tammi22 said:

hi,

i've been 2 weeks gluten free now. however i am currently having symptoms and so i have been searching around for withdrawal symptoms and i seem to match them - Diarrhoea, pains, fatigue... However tonight i've had symptoms of red face, headache and some Brain Fog (no bloating yet!!!) but i have not eaten anything with gluten in. and i'm wondering 1) if this is withdrawal  and 2) i have had tomato passata and orange juice (not together lol) and i'm wondering if the acidity may have triggered of these 'withdrawal' symptoms

please help i'm concerned i've accidentally eaten it and i dont want to be Unwell anymore.

It could be withdrawel symptoms.  Many members have had similar complaints.  The juices might have upset your stomach too.  Stay the course and learn about the gluten-free diet.  If you have  celiac disease, each gluten exposure could increase antibodies  (flare-up) that can last  for months.  


Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You say you had pasta. Did you use the same colander to drain it that you used to use for gluten pasta? That would get you.  If you haven't already do read the Newbie thread at the top of the Coping section.

You have only been gluten free for a short time and it can take some time to heal. Many have good days and bad days in the beginning and hopefully the good days will far outnumber the bad soon.


Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

 Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, ravenwoodglass said:

You say you had pasta. Did you use the same colander to drain it that you used to use for gluten pasta? That would get you.  If you haven't already do read the Newbie thread at the top of the Coping section.

You have only been gluten free for a short time and it can take some time to heal. Many have good days and bad days in the beginning and hopefully the good days will far outnumber the bad soon.

noo i had passata, it's this sauce made from tomatoes. but on another note, if i did use the same dishes that had previously had gluten in and have since been washed - would i risk contamination? (tried to write that as clearly as i could lol)

yeah i'm really hoping so, i've been 2 weeks gluten free now, but am already feel so much less bloated :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ravenwoodglass said:

You say you had pasta. Did you use the same colander to drain it that you used to use for gluten pasta? That would get you.  If you haven't already do read the Newbie thread at the top of the Coping section.

You have only been gluten free for a short time and it can take some time to heal. Many have good days and bad days in the beginning and hopefully the good days will far outnumber the bad soon.

Good catch....pasta, Raven!  

Edited by cyclinglady

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest investing in new dedicated gluten free cook ware and dishes. At least for now perhaps use disposable? Might make SURE that is not the issue. Also the prep environment, it could be the surface you fixed it on, or something you handled that had been previously contaminated, IE Fridge door has batter smears, residue on knobs, handles, and counter, the oven, toaster, etc. I always suggest using freezer paper over you counter to make clean up easy and prevent contamination to everyone. Also it could be spices you use, some use MSG, Fillers, Free flow agents, or they are just contaminated. A raw food diet will help with the elimination process of "What was contaminated".

I recall my first month, the withdrawal was brutal then after that I became hyper sensitive to gluten.


Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tammi22 said:

noo i had passata, it's this sauce made from tomatoes. but on another note, if i did use the same dishes that had previously had gluten in and have since been washed - would i risk contamination? (tried to write that as clearly as i could lol)

yeah i'm really hoping so, i've been 2 weeks gluten free now, but am already feel so much less bloated :)

Dishes are okay. You said they've been washed so no worries. Stainless pots & pans are okay too as long as they were scrubbed real well so no residue remains. Scratched teflon has to go! Get new. No wooden spoons left over from gluten days -- ditch them & get new. New colander/strainers, new cutting board.

You could be having gluten withdrawal or it really could be the sauce. Tomatoes are so acid and your tummy is damaged yet so it's hard to say at this particular point. Try to stick with more gentle foods for a while. Easy to digest stuff. McCormick spices are fine as long as you don't get blends. Pure spices are just that - noting added or it will say so on the label.

Finally, the first 6 months can be a roller coaster with good days/weeks & bad days/weeks. This is why it's really important to not eat out. That way you don't wonder if you got glutened at a restaurant. 


Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0