Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
Sophe

How long to recover?

Rate this topic

Hi there,

I am just wondering if anyone has had experience of being glutened and the symptoms lasting for more than two weeks? I have been sick for 2 weeks now and do not seem to be getting any better?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

5 to 6 weeks for me.  That doesn't mean the autoimmune attack has topped completely, just that I don't feel symptoms.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Oh my gosh, that's awful. Which symptoms continued that long and did they get any easier? I am at the stage where I can't even get out of bed with fatigue, migraines, muscle pain 

Digestion issues,  fatigue, and muscle weakness issues normally wear off in 2-4 weeks for me. The waves of anxiety, depression, and numbness keep up for a few months afterwards.

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

People seem to be very different. I get abdominal pains for about two weeks after I have eaten gluten which slowly fade to nothing. Some symptoms remained indefinitely, they have never gone away.