Ennis_TX

Overnight Rice Gruel Sweet/Savory

Rate this topic

While I can not eat this anymore I made this for a friend who was staying over, last night. Simple, quick, low prep, and CHEAP

1 cup dry medium grain brown rice (I always used lundberg)
8 cups water
1/2 tsp salt

Optional Seasonings/Additives
Sweet
Raisins, Dates, Figs, Plums, Chopped Apple/Pear, Sweet Potato, Pumpkin Puree

Nuts/Seeds/Fats
Almonds, Cashews, Hemp Seeds(nice crunch), Shredded coconut, various other nuts

Sweeteners
Jams, Maple Syrup, Honey, Agave, Bit of sugar of choice

Seasonings
Cinnamon, Apple Pie Spice, Pumpkin Pie Spice

1. Wash, rinse, and drain the rice
2. Combine the rice, water, salt in a crock pot. If using a harder fruit like apples/pears/figs/dates. I like to add them now and let them melt into it.
3. Cook over night on low for about 8 hours (this varys depending on your cooker)
4. Add seasonings, nuts/seeds/ Sweetener, and or fruit and stir, if It is too thick I normally serve with a bit of almond milk

Note this recipe is very flexible, I have also heard of it being done with savory versions with chicken, stocks, herbs, etc. (stewed cream of chicken and rice?) I know I did a onion and leek version once, and have done it just plain then mixed in a package of BBQ Jack Fruit that turned out to be a hit with the guys next door (They had not clue it was not real meat, but you could do this with a container of shredded BBQ meat)
Feel Free to post your own combination and how it worked out for you. Would love to see other versions of this.

Yummy!  

I buy gluten-free Bob's Red Mill rice porridge (hot cereal) and jazz it up for my family (sweet).  I have not tried savory versions.  I like that idea!  I also like the idea of using whole rice to reduce cost.  

When my grandmother was a kid (1917), it was her job to prepare the oatmeal each night for the morning breakfast.  The pot was placed on the back of the old cook stove fueled by fire/wood.    It simmered using the last of the evening's embers.  Thankfully, we have crockpots now.  Funny how old things become new again.