pdm1981

montgomery inn bbq sauce

Rate this topic

Anyone who is from the Cincinnati area knows that when it comes to bbq, Montgomery inn is one of the most popular places to go. Last year they changed their formula to a gluten free version. I've been skeptical for the last year so I emailed them last night. Here is the response:

Thanks for your note.  In the past, we used 2 vinegars that caused our sauce to show a slight level of gluten (5 ppm).  Even though that figure qualified the product to be considered “gluten free”, we wanted to get the level to ZERO.  We have re-engineered the vinegars and we now test each component separately.  Each ingredient tests at 0 PPM.  Therefore, our sauce, when blended, also has a level of 0 PPM.

Regarding the line, other items do get produced, but we have to go through a complete, sanitary wash-out prior to our run.  Random batches are sent to an independent, 3rd party lab to verify there is no evidence of any allergens, etc

Now before I was diagnosed I loved their sauce and the chance of eating it again is pretty exciting. The only concern I have is "re-engineered" vinegar. This is a great sauce if it tastes the way it used to. Would you guys give it a go given the response?

47 minutes ago, pdm1981 said:

Anyone who is from the Cincinnati area knows that when it comes to bbq, Montgomery inn is one of the most popular places to go. Last year they changed their formula to a gluten free version. I've been skeptical for the last year so I emailed them last night. Here is the response:

Thanks for your note.  In the past, we used 2 vinegars that caused our sauce to show a slight level of gluten (5 ppm).  Even though that figure qualified the product to be considered “gluten free”, we wanted to get the level to ZERO.  We have re-engineered the vinegars and we now test each component separately.  Each ingredient tests at 0 PPM.  Therefore, our sauce, when blended, also has a level of 0 PPM.

Regarding the line, other items do get produced, but we have to go through a complete, sanitary wash-out prior to our run.  Random batches are sent to an independent, 3rd party lab to verify there is no evidence of any allergens, etc

Now before I was diagnosed I loved their sauce and the chance of eating it again is pretty exciting. The only concern I have is "re-engineered" vinegar. This is a great sauce if it tastes the way it used to. Would you guys give it a go given the response?

It does seem odd.  Because the only vinegar that has gluten is malt vinegar.  Also, last I heard, there is no way to test and get "0".  The tests are usually <5 - which is safe for Celiacs.  

1 hour ago, Ennis_TX said:

Imagine they changed out to a apple cider or coconut vinegar instead of a grain based one. Bit odd they claim 0, but if they do it in writing like that they must be pretty darn sure. Do they sell this stuff by the bottle?

Yes they sell it by the bottle and it's the best, if not one of the best bbq sauces out there. Its a big deal up here in Cincinnati area. I think I'll give it a try. You're from Austin right? I was stationed at Ft. Hood for 5 years. Some of the best bbq I ever had was at this little place on the road between Hood and Austin. What's the road, 95? You could take it or pay the tolls on the bypass.

Did you ever have a problem with the BBQ Im from Cincinnati as well and I love love love Montgomery inn if i can have it again oh man!! Please let me know I have a bottle at home and have been to scared.