Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
Sare

Celiac Prevention

Rate this topic

I'm getting married soon (8 days) so we've been thinking about future and children and such. Is there anything I can do to prevent my child from getting celiac? I have it and I'm very sensitive. I was diagnosed at 9 after my dad was. Is there any way for me to keep my children from going through that? 

Welcome to the forum.  

Unfortunately, celiac disease is an autoimmune disease that is genetic, but not all people who carry the genes (about 30 to 40% of the population) go on to develop it.   I have a daughter who has two parents (one confirmed celiac and the other not) who can not tolerate gluten.  It would seem as though she would be doomed, but so far, she has tested negative.  Autoimmune disorders run rampant in both our families.  The only thing you can do is hope for the best.  The good news is that you are armed with knowledge and if you do have children who develop celiac disease, you can recongnize it right away.  

We all want to prevent our children from suffering or going through any kind of hardship.  We can not prevent it, but we can teach them the skills necessary for coping with anything life throws at them.  

Best wishes in your upcoming wedding.  Enjoy it!  

I hate to say it and be Mr. Negative ass here. But I had this exact same thought about having kids, I do not wish any kids I have to have my AI issues, and decided I would wait a few decades if need be for the new gene editing things they are working on so we can have them changed. Call me crazy.

12 hours ago, Sare said:

I'm getting married soon (8 days) so we've been thinking about future and children and such. Is there anything I can do to prevent my child from getting celiac? I have it and I'm very sensitive. I was diagnosed at 9 after my dad was. Is there any way for me to keep my children from going through that? 

My 13 and 7 year old have Celiac Disease and my 4 year old has the genes.  I have a double dose of the genes so no matter what my children will get a gene that could develop into the disease.  I hope that my youngest son doesn't ever develop the disease, but his dr said it could activate later in life.  My kids are thriving, they have normal lives, they are smart and have gained knowledge about food that they can carry with them throughout their life.   They really don't let anything stop them from living a normal life.  I think you'll have the upper hand if you choose to have kids.  You'll have the knowledge of what to do to keep them safe if they do have Celiac Disease.  You'll be able to relate since you were young when you were diagnosed.  How was it for you growing up? 

• Upvote 1