Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
Nicole Carano

Is elk meat gluten free

Rate this topic

No reason it shouldn't be gluten-free, unless he was eating donuts right before he was shot, lol. Just kidding. Unless it's a grain-gluten grain- fed animal I would think he should be fine to eat. Sounds very exciting to try!

Should be if unprocessed, if they processed into burger or sausage I would be concerned and turn it down. I was given some venison a year ago that was cut with pork in the processing facility and gluten contaminated due to the machines (some places use a flour as a binder, or wheat as a cleaning agent to run through the grinder). If you just have unprocessed chunks of meat, steaks, etc. It would be perfectly fine.

1 hour ago, Victoria1234 said:

No reason it shouldn't be gluten-free, unless he was eating donuts right before he was shot, lol. Just kidding. Unless it's a grain-gluten grain- fed animal I would think he should be fine to eat. Sounds very exciting to try!

Even if the animal ate gluten, the meat is still gluten free.

if it's just meat, it's gluten free.  

I've eaten plenty of deer meat and elk and it's never bothered me. As long as you process it yourself you should have no worries. All of the steak and hamburger that we've had made for us never made me sick. I did not eat the sausage or jerky because it might be cross contaminated. Any meat, vegetable or fruit should be gluten free. There are weeds in your garden and driveway that you can incorporate into salads that are good for you and gluten-free.

Elk is gluten free like all unprocessed meat.  Okay, everyone said that, but extra validation never hurt.    You should ask who butchered it though.    Lots of my family members hunt (yes, they work and are dedicated to the National/Federal Parks and Land, but culling herds is a necessity in time of drought and over population).  Their butcher is local and does not use gluten in their seasonings (e.g. Sausage).  So ask to be safe.  

10 hours ago, kareng said:

Even if the animal ate gluten, the meat is still gluten free.

if it's just meat, it's gluten free.  

Good to know. I have read here several people referring to only eating grass fed beef. So I got that stuck in my head it would be bad. Thanks for the clarification!

2 hours ago, Victoria1234 said:

Good to know. I have read here several people referring to only eating grass fed beef. So I got that stuck in my head it would be bad. Thanks for the clarification!

Grass fed is just the natural, traditional way of cattle eating -- eating grass on the range.  People now pay a higher price for this kind of meat.  It is a leaner meat because cattle do a lot of walking around to graze.    Cattle,  in feed lots or a combination, fatten up fast on a grain diet (e.g. Corn, sit, etc.), plus, we seem to be running out of land and cowboys!