This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Overly Protective of food and the Kitchen

Ennis-TX

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I first started off with this disease in a shared environment with a family that was oblivious to contamination. Like older parents who were so set in their ways it made no sense to them about CC and they just did what ever they felt like with bread, pasta, cream of wheat (mental scars from that stuff), muffins, etc.

Anyway this lead to me having to be very watchful of the kitchen, and I would always run in there and often catch them start to use MY dishes or what ever was handy etc, and cook without concern for stuff. This has lead to me even 3 years later being SUPER protective of my kitchen/cooking environment. I find myself getting angry and edgy when someone else is in the kitchen, and I do not trust anyone in a place I cook alone. When I am eating I become like a dog with a bone, DO NOT bother me or I will snap at you. Really odd and trying to train myself out of these habits lol. After years of trauma I guess you get these quirks, I feel safe with a few people who have similar issues, as I know they also would get sick if they did anything stupid or brought something in. But with normal people or visitors that have no odd health issues I am ever vigilant of them in the cooking and eating area.

When I eat out or somewhere else I always use paper towels or napkins down, eat with disposable flatware (I ordered cases of 1000 individual wrapped sets), and tend to bring the majority of my meal from home.

Anyone else develop any overly protective/obsessive quirks about food?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

J.Snow Rookie

Like you, I bring my own food places and my own plates and silverware. My mom finally bought me own plate and a fork knife and spoon for when I go to visit ha ha. We like to have people over because then we can have control over the food. One time last year, we had a friend come who wasn't super familiar with celiac disease. We made chili and the friend brought hotdogs and buns to make chili dogs. I had no idea he was going to do that, so it was a complete surprise. I had to go outside and call one of my dear friends who talked me down from having an anxiety attack. Am I crazy for not wanting gluten in my house, even if a friend brings it? Probably, but if it keeps my anxiety down and from me getting sick, I will do whatever it takes. Thankfully my hubby explained to him how sick I could get if I could come into contact with it and they took extra precautions to wash hands after eating. 

I'm sorry you have to deal or had to deal with a shared household. I'm so blessed that my husband eats gluten free at home with me and will not eat gluten at home. I have replaced all my cookware and bakeware so I don't have to worry. For my parents, I printed off info off of celiac.com for them to show them how serious celiac disease is and how sick we can get from just one crumb. That seemed to help. I still get nervous eating over there even though my mom has dedicated equipment she makes my food on and understands to buy only trustworthy brands. 

TexasJen Collaborator

You are not alone!  I live in a shared household. My kids are young right now, so I do all the cooking, cleaning, etc.  The things the kids eat that contain gluten are stored where I want them and I know how to prepare them to avoid any issues.  But, I do want my kids to grow up so I'm already nervous about how to let them learn how to make their own sandwiches and cereal without getting sick!

Ennis-TX Grand Master
36 minutes ago, J.Snow said:

Like you, I bring my own food places and my own plates and silverware. My mom finally bought me own plate and a fork knife and spoon for when I go to visit ha ha. We like to have people over because then we can have control over the food. One time last year, we had a friend come who wasn't super familiar with celiac disease. We made chili and the friend brought hotdogs and buns to make chili dogs. I had no idea he was going to do that, so it was a complete surprise. I had to go outside and call one of my dear friends who talked me down from having an anxiety attack. Am I crazy for not wanting gluten in my house, even if a friend brings it? Probably, but if it keeps my anxiety down and from me getting sick, I will do whatever it takes. Thankfully my hubby explained to him how sick I could get if I could come into contact with it and they took extra precautions to wash hands after eating. 

I'm sorry you have to deal or had to deal with a shared household. I'm so blessed that my husband eats gluten free at home with me and will not eat gluten at home. I have replaced all my cookware and bakeware so I don't have to worry. For my parents, I printed off info off of celiac.com for them to show them how serious celiac disease is and how sick we can get from just one crumb. That seemed to help. I still get nervous eating over there even though my mom has dedicated equipment she makes my food on and understands to buy only trustworthy brands. 

Yeah I moved out over 2 years ago sold most of my assets and built out a gutted building from scratch for my gluten-free safe bubble home and even made a bakery out of it with a 400+sq ft. kitchen. But that trauma still exist from living with them. .....Yeah I had someone try to bring in gluten into the house on a few occasions it does spark angery/panic attacks. Heck had a nightmare about a year ago about a guy for some odd reasoning using flour in my kitchen to make burritos as little sense as that makes and I shot and killed him in the dream. My greatest fear is someone might antique me (act of throwing flour on someone or something making them look like a antique dusty).

cyclinglady Grand Master
45 minutes ago, TexasJen said:

You are not alone!  I live in a shared household. My kids are young right now, so I do all the cooking, cleaning, etc.  The things the kids eat that contain gluten are stored where I want them and I know how to prepare them to avoid any issues.  But, I do want my kids to grow up so I'm already nervous about how to let them learn how to make their own sandwiches and cereal without getting sick!

My hubby has been gluten free since our kid was born 16 years ago.    I was in charge of the kitchen, so I had control.  When I was diagnosed, we went 100% gluten free.  My daughter wanted to help in the kitchen and cook on her own.  I just could not trust her to keep us safe.  She was just a kid!  She eats gluten at school and away from home.  Our friends and family know this, so gluten is never brought into the house.  She is thriving and we have one place where we can let down our guard and relax!  Priceless!  

cyclinglady Grand Master

Ennis, 

I can see why you are super cautious.  There is no need to apologize for it.  You have figured out ways to keep you safe and that is okay!  Our house is 100% gluten free.  It is so nice to not worry about gluten while at home.    A shared household can work for many, but not all celiacs.

My folks have  a family lake house.  It is always stuffed with extended family/friends and is a gluten nightmare.  But I have worked it out using paper goods, the dishwasher and a bin of my kitchen stuff I keep in a bedroom closet.  I oversee food prep and hubby and I are first to eat in the buffet line and we do not go back for seconds!  It is not the same as being relaxed in my own gluten-free House though.  

Keep doing what is right for you.  Piece of mind can be priceless.  

Archived