Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
ironictruth

certified label mushrooms

Rate this topic

Okay guys, this one's new for me. There is a certified gluten-free logo on the label of my portobello mushroom caps. Anyone care to explain to me why this is the case?

11 minutes ago, ironictruth said:

Okay guys, this one's new for me. There is a certified gluten-free logo on the label of my portobello mushroom caps. Anyone care to explain to me why this is the case?

WHAT BRAND?! Sounds great no more hit and miss. thing is industry wise all mushrooms are grown on old seeds that are seeded with the spores for the fungi mushroom. The Seeds that are used as a base are most commonly rye, and sorghum, and guess what, most companies do not care which and even rotate by what is cheaper. SO you always have that chance of getting CC in the resulting mushrooms, heck some are even grown on wheat compost.....I love mushrooms but the hit and miss nature of my local mushroom providers here cause me to mostly avoid anything other then a few canned brands.

19 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

WHAT BRAND?! Sounds great no more hit and miss. thing is industry wise all mushrooms are grown on old seeds that are seeded with the spores for the fungi mushroom. The Seeds that are used as a base are most commonly rye, and sorghum, and guess what, most companies do not care which and even rotate by what is cheaper. SO you always have that chance of getting CC in the resulting mushrooms, heck some are even grown on wheat compost.....I love mushrooms but the hit and miss nature of my local mushroom providers here cause me to mostly avoid anything other then a few canned brands.

it won't let me attach the photo. Mother Earth is the brand. Distributed in PA. 

I had no clue I needed to be concerned about eating mushrooms. I also just recently found out I have to be concerned about Capers as well. But I did find a certified gluten-free brand of capers.

Yes, I have heard about mushrooms and possible gluten exposure is in the medium they are grown on that can be concerning.  Plus, you are not supposed to really wash mushrooms, just brush them off per chefs.  

http://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/articles/how-to-clean-and-store-mushrooms-a-step-by-step-guide

There is also a weird mushroom intolerance too.  A person lacks the enzyme to digest them.  Kind of like lactose intolerance but rarer.  Wonder if this resolves with intestinal healing?  Do not think much studying has been done in the subject.   I confess, I can not eat mushrooms.  Pretty bad for someone of Polish decent!  I have not attempted them lately.  For one, I get intestinal issues and two, I would not chance a gluten exposure (even if very remote).  Why chance it?   It is a given that my mushroom intolerance is going to give me grief!  I can not keep down hotdog or sausage casings either........

https://www.evira.fi/en/foodstuff/manufacture-and-sales/food-categories/vegetables/edible-mushrooms/harmful-reactions-caused-by-mushrooms/

On 8/23/2017 at 11:33 PM, cyclinglady said:

Yes, I have heard about mushrooms and possible gluten exposure is in the medium they are grown on that can be concerning.  Plus, you are not supposed to really wash mushrooms, just brush them off per chefs.  

http://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/articles/how-to-clean-and-store-mushrooms-a-step-by-step-guide

There is also a weird mushroom intolerance too.  A person lacks the enzyme to digest them.  Kind of like lactose intolerance but rarer.  Wonder if this resolves with intestinal healing?  Do not think much studying has been done in the subject.   I confess, I can not eat mushrooms.  Pretty bad for someone of Polish decent!  I have not attempted them lately.  For one, I get intestinal issues and two, I would not chance a gluten exposure (even if very remote).  Why chance it?   It is a given that my mushroom intolerance is going to give me grief!  I can not keep down hotdog or sausage casings either........

https://www.evira.fi/en/foodstuff/manufacture-and-sales/food-categories/vegetables/edible-mushrooms/harmful-reactions-caused-by-mushrooms/

Bummer. I love mushrooms! Well, at least I can have them now and again if I purchase the certified ones. 

No more Farmer's market mushrooms. 

I have been strictly gluten free for 12 1/2 years and never once have I been glutened by mushrooms or capers.  I eat these at least a couple of times a month and nary a problem.  If people need to see a certified label on a mushroom or caper, then that's your choice but it really is not necessary for the the vast majority of Celiac's.  I am pretty sensitive also and have never found the need to see a certified label....not on these 2 items.  I would think that my antibodies would not be as low as they are if I were eating contaminated food a couple of times or more per month.

https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/gluten-free-foods/gluten-free-nutrition/gluten-questions-and-answers/mushrooms/

I came across this article that is filled with so much misinformation, it made my head spin.  I can see why many people new to the diet become so confused.  I do believe she is in Australia so some of their products might contain gluten while the same items in the US don't. She doesn't cover mushrooms, amazingly enough, but other items that come up on this forum.  Don't miss her little ditty on cross reactive foods at the end.  She obviously has no idea that cross reactive applies only to allergies and not intolerances!

• Upvote 1

I have been strictly gluten free for 12 1/2 years and never once have I been glutened by mushrooms or capers.  I eat these at least a couple of times a month and nary a problem.  If people need to see a certified label on a mushroom or caper, then that's your choice but it really is not necessary for the the vast majority of Celiac's.  I am pretty sensitive also and have never found the need to see a certified label....not on these 2 items.  I would think that my antibodies would not be as low as they are if I were eating contaminated food a couple of times or more per month.

https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/gluten-free-foods/gluten-free-nutrition/gluten-questions-and-answers/mushrooms/

I came across this article that is filled with so much misinformation, it made my head spin.  I can see why many people new to the diet become so confused.  I do believe she is in Australia so some of their products might contain gluten while the same items in the US don't. She doesn't cover mushrooms, amazingly enough, but other items that come up on this forum.  Don't miss her little ditty on cross reactive foods at the end.  She obviously has no idea that cross reactive applies only to allergies and not intolerances!

Fresh mushrooms are normally locally sourced due to shelf life issues. The ones that have given me issues are sourced from a local farm. I called them after getting sick and yes at least the ones here use spored rye seeds. SO in the end it varies from where the mushrooms are sourced and how the farm grows them....your lucky and I wish I could get yours and not have issues with them, I have to get mine from the city up north or canned. The local ones in my town get me half the time.