Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
Wildfire123

Time of symptoms

Rate this topic

How long after you've been glutened do you start getting symptoms? For me it seems like I get them within 10 to 20 mins. And can last all day.

When my intestine are healed and gluten is non existent for a period of time then it takes me a week before the serious symptoms kick in.  I finally tested that by going on a stupid gluten binge a few months ago.  Ate some by accident, didn't have reaction immediately as some on this board have. When no symptoms appeared I decided I must not have Celiac disease so I ate everything gluten I had missed for 2 years.  By the 7th day the symptoms began and it was brutal.  In addition I vomited one night after eating cake which was my other sign that I did in fact have Celiac and so I gave it up and went back to gluten free.  It takes me almost a month for total healing.  If I eat gluten while my intestine are inflamed then the symptoms increase and are felt within 24 hours.  But if I go to totally healed and then get it by accident it takes a full week for the autoimmune symptoms to ramp up and start ravaging the lining of my intestines. 

I get neuro symptoms within an hour or so but the severe D takes about 3 days. My stomach will get very noisy before that but the D only last a few hours. The fatigue and brain fog usually lasts a few weeks along with muscle and joint pain.