Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
Abby77

Positive Blood Test Negative Biopsy

Rate this topic

Hello friends :) I am searching for someone in a similar situation as me.

-I have had stomach issues since childhood

-went to the doctor, he issued a series of blood tests, here is how I tested. (Normal range is in parenthesis):

1. Immunoglobulin A: 178 mg/dL (85-370 mg/dL)

2. Tissue Transglutaminase IgA: <1.3 U/mL (0.0-4.0 U/mL)

3. Tissue Transglutaminase IgG: 10.6 U/mL (0.0-6.0 U/mL)

-as you see I tested positive for only the IgG test. From here I did an upper endoscopy with a biopsy of my duodenum, it came back negative.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!

I have searched countless hours, from what I can tell, a false positive happens 1-3% of the time. Could this be a false positive? I just have a hard time accepting this because my list of symptoms are so very similar to those of Celiac Disease, also I was reviewing some standard blood and urinalysis tests and noticed that I had some slight decreases over the last year and a half in labs that would suggest malabsorption...sound familiar? ??‍♀️Anyways, my doctor is very old school, by the book, so the only feedback he gave me is that this positive blood test truly does not indicate anything. Did anyone go through anything similar? Am I missing something glaringly obvious? Thanks in advanced.

Did the doctor only take one biopsy? 5 or 6 from different areas should have been taken. That said it is quite possible to be celiac and only have one test come back positive. It is even possible to have none of the blood tests be positive and still be celiac. If you are done with all celiac related testing then give the diet a good strict try for at least a couple of months and see if it helps.

Do check the Newbie 101 thread at the top of the Coping section for a lot of good info on what you have to do to be completely gluten free.