This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Afraud to eat gluten free bread

Pattykake

Pattykake Newbie

I am afraid to try gluten free breads, did they bother you also or did you have no problems.  Also wanted to try almond milk.  The fruits and vegetables are starting to bother my stomach with gas pains and getting sick of living on them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

When you first go gluten free you need to go to a whole foods only diet with limited to no processed foods til your gut heals. Gluten free breads are full of processed flours, gums, and in many cases tons of starches that can ferment and cause gas. They can also contain stuff you could be intolerant to, many of us get issues with xantham gum, diary, soy, and some have issues with nightshades including potatoes.
ONE other note, it is a common saying for us, give up bread til you forgot what gluten bread taste like.

Vegetables need to be cooked VERY well til almost mush so they are not so abrasive in your intestines, fruit should be used in moderation to avoid the sugars causing gas and bloat.
Start off with stuff like Nut Meal porridge, simple stews, soups, sheet pan meals, and crockpot meals with super soft cooked meats and veggies.
If your newly diagnosed read the newbie 101 section there are many things newly diagnosed people miss and keep accidentally CCing themselves. Condiment jars with crumbs in them, cutting boards have to be throw out as the can harbor gluten in the scratches, colanders need to be replaced etc.
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/
Almond milk, check ingredients and starting off avoid ones with say "xantham gum" many celiacs find they can not tolerate it.

Going to a whole foods diet and keeping a food diary is essential at first as many of us end up with other food intolerance and sensitivities issues.
Open Original Shared Link
Open Original Shared Link

cyclinglady Grand Master

Give the gluten-free a try.  While it might not agree with you now, it might be fine for you after you heal.  You just need to experiment.  Try keeping a food journal to pinpoint any additional intolerances. 

Jonny B. Good Rookie
On 7/3/2018 at 9:03 AM, Pattykake said:

I am afraid to try gluten free breads, did they bother you also or did you have no problems.  Also wanted to try almond milk.  The fruits and vegetables are starting to bother my stomach with gas pains and getting sick of living on them.

Early on I ate a lot of gluten-free bread. I intially thought "problem solved"... But soon enough it started to make me feel like crap. Best bet based on my own experience is to abstain from all breads. Occasionally I'll have a gluten-free bun or piece of bread as a treat. 

Paleo cook books/recipes have some pretty good grain alternatives if you're ever craving something like cake or pizza crust for example. In fact you may find that paleo cookbooks have all sorts of tasty food options. It's worth checking out to see if it works for you.

• 1 month later...
LilyR Rising Star

I can't seem to eat much of the baked gluten-free items in the stores (like muffins, cupcakes, breads).  So far the only gluten-free bread I have been able to eat is from a company called Against The Grain.  I can eat their pita bread, which has ingredients like white rice flour and tapioca (if I remember correctly), and their bulkie style rolls (which have mozzarella cheese in them, if you can handle dairy).  Their bagels bother me though, and it might be because those have canola oil, which I can't have.  

Also, have you seen recipes for "cloud bread" online?  You can make them with either greek yogurt or cream cheese (and eggs) if you are okay with dairy.  They are not really like regular bread, but I like making a BLT with them.  I also have added spices to them and a pinch of salt to make them more savory. You can store extras in a paper bag, like a lunch bag, but they don't last long, especially in summer heat and humidity.  

I might try sprinkling them with cinnamon sugar sometime and see how that tastes (I did eat some with maple syrup before and it was good).  Good luck. It can be a long process to get used to and to heal. 

ch88 Collaborator

I seem to do best on whole foods only diet, without grain. I have multiple food sensitivities though. Other people seem to tolerate gluten free bread fine. Almond milk is probably a safe bet as it has fewer problematic ingredients than bread. You can try the bread though and see if it works for you.

Archived