This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

numbness/tingly leg and severe pain gluten challenge

gsdogs

gsdogs Newbie

Hi all,

I tried doing a gluten test for my endosocpy but I have such stabbing constant pains I can hardly move and also one side my butt/upper leg went tingly and partially numb.  Besides other symptoms (bloating 3" plus, elevated heart rate, brain fog, super tired, etc. etc. etc.) is the severe pain and tingly numbness enough reason to not continue the gluten test?  I plan to talk to my Dr. but wondering if anyone here can answer quicker.  Thanks. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

You could be experiencing 3 different things in my experience.
1. Gluten ataxia, some of us get this where our immune system might also attack our nervous system and brain.
2. Magnesium Deficiency, do some research it can cause tingling, numbness, and even a fire like needle sensation, we end up with this deficiency with celiacs often. Amusingly it often starts in the legs and can even cause cramps.  It has many other symptoms and can be improved with supplementation. Doctors Best if you have normal bowel movements, if you have constipation (not going daily) then Natural Vitality Calm dosed to tolerance.
3. B-vitamin deficiency, another common issue with this disease, this can effect every part of our body and can manifest in brain fog, nerve issues, etc. They work synergistic often with each other so depending on which ones you could be different or combinations of side effects. I use and suggest Liquid Health Energy & Stress, and Neurological Support 1 tbsp each 3 times a day. I think vitacost has them the cheapest right now.

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

As Ennis says I get all 3. Before I went gluten-free I would have numb toes and my whole left arm would go numb. My whole arm would be numb and sometimes I would get a simultaneously shooting nerve pain in the other side/ nerve pathway. Once you finish the challenge you can focus on the advice Ennis gave to support your body. My stories of symptoms like yours and more could take up minutes of your reading time ?

Best to ask the Dr they likely will ask you to finish the challenge. I knew I couldn't do a 12 week and told them from the start . I agreed to a 2 week challenge for a both scopes top to bottom.  I had your symptoms and additional ones and did not finish the full 2 week challenge. I have a gold standard celiac cousin.

As of now I am NCGS and additional intolerances,but will not be surprised (if they ever complete testing technology to determine celiac without a challenge) to learn I am celiac. Regardless I can't eat it and in my two years since I joined the forums it was revealed both my children are intolerant as well. 

Good luck on the challenge. It's only my two cents but once the challenge is done and scope complete you may consider dropping gluten. I went gluten-free a few years before I was diagnosed , desperate to stop all my symptoms, but admit since I wasn't formally diagnosed and had not joined this forum , I was doing it incorrectly and consuming trace amounts that still caused issues in gluten-free processed foods etc. My sensitivity level / multiple intolerances is best whole food based. I also learned I had additional intolerances as well that damages me as well.

yes you sound similar to me symptom wise. I was diagnosed IBS for over 20 years with vitamin D deficiency. The Scope reveled IBS is not the problem and I went gluten-free , dropped corn and milk and I stay on top of vitamin d and magnesium.

Best wishes 

Archived