This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Confirmed Celiac Patient

Cheikh T Sylla

Cheikh T Sylla Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I have just joined the forum after having been diagnosed with Celiac disease a week ago through blood test (Immunoglobulin, A, Qn, Serum tested 452). I had an endoscopy, colonoscopy, abdominal ultrasound, and blood test. The colonoscopy showed a non-bleeding ulcer. I have always been a healthy person who does not smoke, nor drink. I exercise regularly, and have a good diet, but for the last 5 months--without knowing I had Celiac disease--I have been sick as follows:

1. Tense stomach rejecting any food I eat
  2. Cannot drink regular water, only distilled water
  3. A lot of acid and gas in my stomach, which growls sometimes even 24 hours after eating
  4. Slow digestion of food in my stomach
  5. I am naturally skinny, but lost 20 lbs. I am 6' and I weigh now 128 lbs
  6. I have been so weak and unable to do any meaningful physical activity
  7. Headache on the right side and now on the left side
  8. Muscle spasms all over the body (my doctor said it is because I am weak and under-nourished)
  9. Moving hairlines in my eyes (my optimalogist could not see anything wrong with my eyes)

After meeting with my GI to review the battery of tests, Celiac came out as an issue. He prescribed Omeprazole to reduce the acid, and I have been taking it for a month now since my endoscopy. Last week I met with my primary physician to review the test results, and she recommended going gluten-free. She also prescribed Carafate to protect the lining of the stomach from the acid and allow the non-bleeding ulcer to heal. She also recommended that I take supplements for men since I have lost weight and I am weak.

Questions:

1. Is Celiac disease capable of all that mischievous ill as I continued to eat gluten without knowing for 5 months?
  2. If the excess acid is due to the disease affecting my digestive process, shouldn't abate with a gluten-free diet?

All of that said, I am feeling much better and the symptoms are going down compared to even one week ago. Please share any thoughts you may have. Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi,

Welcome to the forum! :)

Yes, celiac disease can cause most of that and more.  The ulcer could be the result of bacteria having an easier time colonizing a weakened digestive system.  Excessive gas is not unusual and can cause pain in the stomach and bowels.  Slow food transit is a good possibility also.

Celiac disease damages the lining of the small intestine, which causes digestive problems.  There are chemical triggers made in the gut that trigger the gall bladder to release bile.  If the gut is damaged those chemicals signals may be missing.  Also the gut lining makes digestive enzymes like lactase that breaks down milk sugar (lactose).  Not having that enzyme means dairy sugar is not broken down so bacteria get a mega dose of sugar to feed on.  That can cause gas and D etc.

The other problem is the damaged villi lining of the small intestine has a hard time absorbing nutrients like vitamins and fats.  That means you may lose weight and develop vitamin deficiencies and fatigue/weakness.  Insomnia is a another common issue.

All this is a good reason to change your diet.  Try sticking with whole unprocessed foods for a couple months.  Avoid dairy and sugar and carbs like bananas, white rice,  etc.  Make sure to eat lots of protein to give your body the tools it needs to heal.

There is a "Newbie 101" thread in the "Coping With" section that has some getting started tips.

You may find that peppermint Altoids or peppermint tea help to get gas out of the stomach.  Think about eating well cooked foods that are easier to digest.  Sometimes digestive enzymes may be helpful

Cheikh T Sylla Newbie

Thanks GFinDC. I appreciate the suggestions. It is very helpful.

Archived