This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could this be Coeliac? More of a vent really...sorry

Vic89

Vic89 Rookie

I have a GP appointment today where I might mention my concerns with gluten (I'm going primarily for acid reflux) I'm just worried I'll get the roll-up-eyes, why are you bothering us with food issues look, that I sort of felt I've had before when I've mentioned intolerances.  I've been pretty much gluten-free for the last 5 years due to it massively improving cat allergies (living with a cat), however every now and then usually when abroad I'll end up eating it.

My history is as follows:

ITP - 3 episodes in 90's at a time when at uni eating lots of bread / pasta (platelet count would be down to 1 or 2 each time)

Endometriosis - again at a time when eating loads of bread

Chronic Fatigue syndrome - last Christmas after 2 days of eating gluten on holiday 

When eating gluten:

foul smelling stink bomb farts

Acid reflux

bloating

constipation alternating with diarrhoea

poor skin - rosacea like on face

asthma worse

pet allergies worse

ears get blocked straight away after eating and need to try and clear them like on a plane

feel more emotional depression/anxiety

lactose intolerant

When I don't eat it for a long period of time, asthma peak flow improves, cat allergies improve, do amazing poos! was so surprised by them at first as never had normal poos like that.

Anyways some sites seem to suggest Gluten can cause everything under the sun, others suggest it's more likely to have lots of stomach pain and weight loss which I don't have. 

I've sent of for a DNA test just to rule it out, if that comes back negative I'll know I'm just sensitive and don't need to do a gluten challenge. Otherwise I'll be torn about whether to do one or not.  It makes me so ill and my partner doesn't want me to do one because of that, but never eating gluten again is such a massive life long commitment, I sort of would want confirmation. 

Just ranting really as soooo fed up with being ill.  Feels like there is nothing I can eat right now. 

Rant over

Any people with similar symptoms would love to hear from you

Vicky

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Please don't rely on gene testing to know for sure whether you could be celiac. There are more than just the two most common genes tested for that are associated with celiac. If you happen to have one of the more rare genes you could do a lot of damage if you are celiac and you and your doctor dismiss the possibility.  You have to be on a regular gluten diet for testing so if you have been gluten free you will need to do a challenge. As for confirmation that gluten is not something your body wants it seems your body is already giving you the answer. It also sounds like you need a diagnosis for confirmation and to keep yourself strict so a challenge may be your only option. You need a good 6 weeks with eating gluten at a level of a couple slices of bread a day for blood work.

Archived