This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recovery

GlutenPhobe

GlutenPhobe Newbie

Glad to have found this site. None of my doctors seem to know much - correction, "anything" - about Celiac. Not even Spellcheck knows what it is because it always gives me the red underline.  I get Google Alerts on Celiac Disease which brings everything published on the subject on a daily basis. 

Some pharmaceutical  companies are starting to pay attention and are starting research on anti-immune problems including Celiac, which is encouraging.  It seems that the young diagnosed with Celiac can get over it relatively quickly with strict gluten-free diets.  I get the sense, though, that the older you are, the more gluten is stored in your system and the longer it will take. 

I am ancient. I was diagnosed with Celiac through a blood test over 10 years ago. But I had no symptoms, pain or discomfort, and my doctor didn't push gluten-free. So, I continued to gobble up gluten by the ton in Ciabatta, Pumpernickel, Russian Potato Rye, Bagels, Croissants, Pretzels, Challa, English Muffins, you name it. 

Concurrently other doctors became mystified by some tests which showed strange things which I now realize were all related to Celiac. 

In a two-year period I lost close to 40 pounds.  Most of us would welcome the loss of some weight but my research indicates that it is not a normal weight loss.  It seems to involve our top half.  My face has become much thinner, I've lost chest muscles and arm muscles but kept most of my gut and behind.

It might be useful if every reader here sent in a list of their symptoms that MAY be related to Celiac disease. Medicine still needs to identify all the Celiac related symptoms.  I never suffered the classic symptoms: constipation and/or diarrhea or both. Our poops, some times resemble a mix of rabbit droppings and horse balls. My main suffering comes from hives - big welts on forearms or thighs or legs or belly, or crotch, or on the hips - these turn deep red, burn fiercely and itch enough to bring on tears. 

An allergist sent me to a dermatologist to get a biopsy of the hives (which he is not certain ARE hives) The dermatologist suggested I just come without an appointment whenever this condition is "in bloom."  For the next few weeks, these hives surfaced on late Fridays, would have me suffer on the weekend, but by Monday would diminish, leaving an inadequate sample to take to the dermatologist for the biopsy.  Finally a big one cropped up on one of my forearms during the week and when I called to inform the dermatologist that I was coming, I learned he was out of town for the whole month of May.

The less obvious but more dangerous effects I now have diagnosed are Celiac's interference with my system's ability to absorb calcium, leading to Osteoporosis and also Anemia.  Yup. Got both. 

To stay gluten free takes diligence. We need to read EVERY label for content before consuming. I just today discovered that the potato chips, I like to have now and then, have gluten, and I thought I had developed hawk-eyes for gluten detection.

Last year, I had mentioned to a cardiologist in one of our major hospitals that I got the sense that medicine still had much to learn about the heart.  He leaned close to my ear, lowered his voice and whispered, "About the whole body."

I suffered gut ailments for 30 years. Pain would come at unexpected times and make me miserable. It started in Boston. They turned me inside out at the Lahey Clinic and prescribed Bella Donna. In New York it was some anti-spasmodics; in Teaneck, NJ,  it was something else, and then in Toronto, more guesses by medics - all trying to help me cure something no one had taught them how to identify. 

After thirty years of putting up with this annoyance, a solo doctor in Australia or New Zealand, discovered a bug he named Helicobacter Pylori. I was living in L.A. at the time and my doctor at the UCLA clinic was convinced that this is what I had. Two antibiotics taken concurrently for ten days ended my 30 year suffering.  It would be wonderful if some such discovery about Celiac would come about. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I am sorry that your doctor was not able to impress upon you the importance of a gluten free diet.  

There is a lot of research going on about Celiac disease and possible cures or treatments.  The Univ of Chicago (site linked below) is one that has been active for many years.  There are many others.  Perhaps you would find it helpful to read a bit so you understand the importance of being strictly gluten-free from now on.  Some issues can resolve or slow down.  

Here is a list of of the most common symptoms of Celiac.

https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/symptoms/

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

TT24
    Newest Member
    TT24
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks  
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nacina, What supplements is your son taking?
    • knitty kitty
      @BluegrassCeliac, I'm agreeing.  It's a good thing taking magnesium. And B vitamins. Magnesium and Thiamine work together.  If you supplement the B vitamins which include Thiamine, but don't have sufficient magnesium, Thiamine won't work well.  If you take Magnesium, but not Thiamine, magnesium won't work as well by itself. Hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ is a sulfonamide drug, a sulfa drug.  So are proton pump inhibitors PPIs, and SSRIs. High dose Thiamine is used to resolve cytokine storms.  High dose Thiamine was used in patients having cytokine storms in Covid infections.  Magnesium supplementation also improves cytokine storms, and was also used during Covid. How's your Vitamin D? References: Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25542071/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/ The Effect of a High-Dose Vitamin B Multivitamin Supplement on the Relationship between Brain Metabolism and Blood Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress: A Randomized Control Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316433/ High‐dose Vitamin B6 supplementation reduces anxiety and strengthens visual surround suppression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9787829/ Repurposing Treatment of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-Vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33737877/ Higher Intake of Dietary Magnesium Is Inversely Associated With COVID-19 Severity and Symptoms in Hospitalized Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9132593/ Magnesium and Vitamin D Deficiency as a Potential Cause of Immune Dysfunction, Cytokine Storm and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in covid-19 patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7861592/ Sulfonamide Hypersensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31495421/
    • BluegrassCeliac
      Hi,   Not saying Thiamine (B1) couldn't be an issue as well, but Mg was definitely the cause of my problems. It's the only thing that worked. I supplemented with B vitamins, but that didn't change anything, in fact they made me sick. Mg stopped all my muscle pain (HCTZ) within a few months and fixed all the intestinal problems HCTZ caused as well. Mom has an allergy to some sulfa drugs (IgG Celiac too), but I don't think I've ever taken them. Mg boosted my energy as well. It solved a lot of problems. I take 1000mg MgO a day with no problems. I boost absorption with Vitamin D. Some people can't take MgO,  like mom, she takes Mg Glycinate. It's one of those things that someone has try and find the right form for themselves. Everyone's different. Mg deficiency can cause anxiety and is a treatment for it. A pharmacist gave me a list of drugs years ago that cause Mg deficiency: PPIs, H2 bockers, HCTZ, some beta blockers (metoprolol which I've taken -- horrible side effects), some anti-anxiety meds too were on it. I posted because I saw he was an IgG celiac. He's the first one I've seen in 20 years, other than my family. We're rare. All the celiacs I've met are IgA. Finding healthcare is a nightmare. Just trying to help. B  
    • Scott Adams
      It sounds like you've been through a lot with your son's health journey, and it's understandable that you're seeking answers and solutions. Given the complexity of his symptoms and medical history, it might be beneficial to explore a few avenues: Encourage your son to keep a detailed journal of his symptoms, including when they occur, their severity, any triggers or patterns, and how they impact his daily life. This information can be valuable during medical consultations and may help identify correlations or trends. Consider seeking opinions from specialized medical centers or academic hospitals that have multidisciplinary teams specializing in gastrointestinal disorders, especially those related to Celiac disease and Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EOE). These centers often have experts who deal with complex cases and can offer a comprehensive evaluation. Since you've already explored alternative medicine with a nutrition response doctor and a gut detox diet, you may want to consider consulting a functional medicine practitioner. They take a holistic approach to health, looking at underlying causes and imbalances that may contribute to symptoms. Given his low vitamin D levels and other nutritional markers, a thorough nutritional assessment by a registered dietitian or nutritionist specializing in gastrointestinal health could provide insights into any deficiencies or dietary adjustments that might help alleviate symptoms. In addition to routine tests, consider asking about more specialized tests that may not be part of standard screenings. These could include comprehensive stool analyses, food intolerance testing, allergy panels, or advanced imaging studies to assess gut health.