This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

1 Month Post Diagnosis Help

Drake9671

Drake9671 Rookie

Hello everyone, I was diagnosed with Celiac exactly 1 month ago and since day one I have  done EVERYTHING to eliminate gluten and cc. While my stomach has slowly got better it feels like brain fog,nerves, and everything else has got worse. I get sort of hot flashes daily where my ears turn bright red,I get a red flat rash that doesn’t itch on my shoulders,chest, and feet only, and skin is hot. Anyone have any suggestions before I see my doctor next week? I would appreciate it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Drake,

Your gut is probably in the beginning stages of healing.  That would mean that damaged villi are regrowing  and being repopulated with bacteria.  That can cause some upset as the bacteria multiply and establish themselves.  It may help to eliminate sugar and starchy foods for a while.  Eat simple foods and skip processed foods and spicy foods.  I suggest you also cut out dairy and oats.

Healing celiac disease damage can take months to years.  It's often a bit of a roller coaster of symptoms at first.  Peppermint tea and Pepto Bismol may help some.  And simple, whole foods.  A multivitamin could possibly help some.

cyclinglady Grand Master

In addition to GFinDC’s advice, consider Mast Cell Activation Syndrome:

https://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/related-conditions/mcas

Kistim Newbie

I’m 7 years out since diagnosis but I can tell you with certainty that I felt worse the first 9 months after diagnosis and going strict gluten free. Your body is detoxing in so many ways. Stay super strict and stick it out....you will be amazed at how well you will feel when you really begin to heal from the years of damage. Nourish your body with clean, whole food and try to eliminate sugar. Determine what nutritional deficiencies need to be addressed with supplements. Few people understand how badly Celiac affects the whole person. The great news is that the damage can all be healed and you can feel amazing again. ?

Ennis-TX Grand Master

The skin thing could be many issues from a deficiency like magnesium or essential fatty oil, allergies (many members get new allergies soon after diagnosis) to thyroid issues. You might try magnesium supplementation, what you need depends on your BMs, D and loose stools then Doctors Best Magnesium Glycinate, if constipation (not going daily) then Natural Vitality calm dosed to tolerance.

The brain fog, issues are more then likely a B-vitamin issue, many gluten foods are fortified (sprayed with vitamins) while gluten free foods are not. Top this with damaged intestines and it is not uncommon. Many B-vitamins are synergistic, I would look for a full complex like Liquid Health Mega B-Complex and maybe combo with their Neurological support. Just take it 2 times a day with meals (I had it to my green tea with meals).

I would also suggest cooking foods super soft, Meats and veggies, crockpots are a life saver to cook stuff on low 6-8 hours to make it easy to digest. Avoid Spices and acidic foods (think of your intestines as carpet burned). Carbs/sugars are going to ferment and cause bloat so avoid them starting off looking at vegetables, meats, eggs. Many celiacs have issues with oats, and dairy requires a enzyme produced by the tips of your damaged villi to digest so you need to remove all dairy for a few months til you heal, but some never regain the ability to eat it.

notme Experienced

I have a friend who is struggling with the diet.  I have watched her for many years go from doctor to doctor and being diagnosed with just everything you can think of <but all symptoms of celiac)  doctors agree that it is autoimmune and that she should be eating gluten free - strictly.  

it's hard to imagine how great you're going to feel once your body starts running like it should because you're eating the right 'fuel' - you start absorbing all your nutrients and vitamins/minerals and whoa!  your immune system is back to being kick a$$!!  sure, it is more effort and pre-planning for meals, but when you start to notice significant changes in your health, it's much easier to do the work.

I don't know how to convince her, though, so i'm saying little prayers for her (and for you all!) to stay strong - it's going to be worth it.