This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Good Kids Chicken Fingers

emsmom

emsmom Apprentice

We finally found a chicken finger my DD likes yeah !! we tried the Ians and they are not very good. The tiny Dinos she claims are "Spicy".

My husband made Chicken fingers by cutting strips os chicken, dipping them in a milk/egg mixture and rolling them in Crushed Veggie Chips they were wonderful.

Just thought I would share it if any other kids are missing "chicken nuggets"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

redheadheather Explorer

That sounds great! We've done it with dried, blenderized gluten-free bread before. We'll have to check that out. Thanks!

Merika Contributor

Um...so the chicken strips were cooked or raw? And if raw, how did you tell they were done?

Merika

(vegetarian since leaving home, eating meat for the last few months, and not really sure how to cook it!)

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

Funny, my Ems also said the Dinos were too spicey! I thought they were delicious though, and my other two, non celiac kids, ate 'em up. I'll have to try that recipe.....I would love to serve nuggets again for lunch, we are getting a little tired of hot dogs or mac n cheese over here. Thanks!

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

I make gluten free fried chicken strips, I make it just like I used to except replacing flour with Bob's red mill gluten free all purpose flour. Most people can't tell the difference except for my hubby (who isn't gluten free) and he says they taste better.

I will post the recipe if you want, I cook them in the oven.

what type of veggies do you use to "bread" your chicken? that sounds interesting. I bet my kids would love it.

redheadheather Explorer

PLEASE post the recipe! I'm always looking for more kid-friendly gluten-free recipes.

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

bonless skinless chicken breast cut into strips

milk

egg

Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free flour (this is important, it doesn't taste right with just rice flour)

Paprika

Salt

Pepper

Beat egg and milk in a bowl, make another bowl with just flour, salt, pepper and paprika.

Heat the oven to 350 (or 325 for a glass pan)

put in a pan 9x13x2 a stick of butter sliced, let the butter melt in the pan while you are getting the chicken ready

coat the chicken in flour, then in the egg/milk mixture, then back in the flour again. Do this with each chicken strip, by this time your butter should be bubbly in the oven, put the chicken in the pan make sure each strip doesn't touch another.

Bake for 25 minutes, and then with tongs(metal) flip all the chicken over, and bake for 30 more minutes.

I hope that it was clear. I kinda made up the recipe from other recipes so if you need clarirication please let me know. ;)

It's not an "everday" meal because it takes so long, but they taste so good, that my family wants it everyday, they have to settle for once every 2 weeks though LOL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Merika Contributor

Do you mean a *whole stick of butter*? Or do you mean enough butter to coat the pan?

Merika

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
Do you mean a *whole stick of butter*? Or do you mean enough butter to coat the pan?

Merika

a whole stick of butter, basically you are "frying" the chicken in it like you would in veggie oil. it should be enough that when melted it leaves like an inch or so of melted butter in the pan.

it sounds fattening but it's not as bad if you use like Parkay, and also it may sound gross to some people but I assure you it's really really good.

emsmom Apprentice

I will have to try your recipe next she misses good chicken fingers.

And yes we did cook them sorry about that B4. My DH baked them in the oven at 350 for about 20 min or untill golden brown.

We used Veggie Chips crushed up for a coating.

Archived