This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Biopsy And Colonoscopy

jcgirl

jcgirl Apprentice

Well my son is going to have a second biopsy for celiac on Monday and they are also going to do a colonoscopy. The poor kid does ok for about 10 days to 2 weeks then begins vomitting for a week. Here is what we have discovered via testing in the last 6 months:

celiac negative in August

severe acid reflux

5 esophagal ulcers

Giardia in August

Dairy intolorant diagnosed in December

Bacterial overgrowth diagnosed in December

My son started a strict dairy free diet in December. It is possible that he may have had dairy by accident over the holidays which may have triggered the vomiiting. I just don't know. Is it common to vomit for a week straight from one slip up? The diarehia has not cleared up either. Could it be celiac or gluten intolorant, could it be bacteria overgrowth........ It is so frustrating not knowing. The poor kid was racking his brain trying to figure out what he ate that he wasn't suppose to.

Anyway, my question for other parents is this:

Any suggestions on clear liquids, no red of course, that he can have for a day and half during prep for colonoscopy. Don't want him feeling like he is starving. He lost 10 pounds last week from vomiting. Also, any suggestions to make the prep smoother would be greatly appreciated. Is the prep harder on a child than on an adult, as in like crapping, etc.??

We plan on driving the 3 hour trip to the hospital in the motor home. That way he can still go skiing with his ski club and start the prep on the road. We will be staying in a hotel once we get to Rochester, the poor kid would become clostophobic if he had to spend hours in a motor home b-room.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sb4480 Newbie
Well my son is going to have a second biopsy for celiac on Monday and they are also going to do a colonoscopy. The poor kid does ok for about 10 days to 2 weeks then begins vomitting for a week. Here is what we have discovered via testing in the last 6 months:

celiac negative in August

severe acid reflux

5 esophagal ulcers

Giardia in August

Dairy intolorant diagnosed in December

Bacterial overgrowth diagnosed in December

My son started a strict dairy free diet in December. It is possible that he may have had dairy by accident over the holidays which may have triggered the vomiiting. I just don't know. Is it common to vomit for a week straight from one slip up? The diarehia has not cleared up either. Could it be celiac or gluten intolorant, could it be bacteria overgrowth........ It is so frustrating not knowing. The poor kid was racking his brain trying to figure out what he ate that he wasn't suppose to.

Anyway, my question for other parents is this:

Any suggestions on clear liquids, no red of course, that he can have for a day and half during prep for colonoscopy. Don't want him feeling like he is starving. He lost 10 pounds last week from vomiting. Also, any suggestions to make the prep smoother would be greatly appreciated. Is the prep harder on a child than on an adult, as in like crapping, etc.??

We plan on driving the 3 hour trip to the hospital in the motor home. That way he can still go skiing with his ski club and start the prep on the road. We will be staying in a hotel once we get to Rochester, the poor kid would become clostophobic if he had to spend hours in a motor home b-room.

This is going to be graphic, apologies everyone...

I just went through this over New Years weekend. I'm only 25 so in the world of colonoscopies, I'm still a kid.

I don't know what kind of prep your son has been assigned, but I was required to drink "Fleet phospha soda" which is a clear, citrus "flavored" saline laxative. I mixed it with gingerale and chased it with straight gingerale. Honestly it was gross and was REALLY hard on my stomach but the flip side of it was that I had no desire to eat I was afraid that if it didn't come out one end, it would go out the other.

As for the pooping aspect, I was okay (on gingerale and water) until I ate lime jello. By that time (evening) I was a little sore so the jello made it worse (citric acid maybe?). The only relief I found was from Kleenex Cottonel wet wipes and Vaseline.

Normally doctors offer concious sedation for colonoscopies, but I was aloowed moderate sedation which is a little heavier than concious but not as bad or dangerous as general anasthesia. I slept through the whole procedure. I recommend asking your doc for that, especially with your son being so young.

Good luck,

Stephanie

jcgirl Apprentice

Stephanie,

My son is 13. He has to drink the phosfo soda as well. I hear there is a cherry flavor, have to find out about that. He is going to be under general anisthesia because of the endoscopy being done at same time. Thank God that he won't realize exactly what they are doing.

For the rash that developes, when I do prep myself, I start off by using Balmax. It is diaper rash oitment for babies. Helps to coat the skin and rash doesn't get as bad if applied after each visit to throne.

I wonder if the fleet soda stuff can be made into a slush, maybe that would go down easier.

jerseyangel Proficient

I had both procedures done on the same day last June. I had to drink the gallon of laxative--1 glass every 20 minutes for 5 hours. I hope that your son will be spared that, at least. Before I started on it at around 2 PM, I had orange jello, apple juice and some clear chicken broth. Once I started the prep, I was not hungry. It was not pleasant and when I was finished at around 7PM, all I wanted to do was go to bed. I had to get up and use the bathroom quite a few more times before I was able to rest. Like Stephanie, by the end of all this, you get pretty sore, the liquid you pass gets acidic. On the positive side, I was asleep throughout the whole thing and woke up feeling rested. The worst part is the prep--he should breeze through the actual procedures.

jcgirl Apprentice

Patty and SB4480,

Thank you both for your replies.

Update to my plans for the prep and proceedure;

Doctor's office called today and the C-Diff and Giardia was negative. Good news in some fashion, but still no answer to the puke fest (as my son calls it) and the never ending D. I believe deep down that he does in fact have at the very least gluten intolorance like his mom. I pray every night that is not the case. Kinda hoping that he is cheating on the dairy free diet. But, I really don't believe that is what is happening.

Anyway, the prep that he has to do is after lunch on Saturday (proceedure is Mon.) he goes on liquid diet. Also has to take 1 ducolax on Saturday evening. Sunday is strict clear liquid diet and suppose to start drinking 10oz bottle of Magnesium something or the other at 2pm and begin visiting the BR.

Spoke to nurse prac. and she said that starting the magnesium at 4pm would be ok so that my son can still go on his first trip with the ski club. He has missed out on alot lately. My husband and I plan to send him off on the ski bus in morning and pick him up in the motor home on the mountain at 3:30. I knew there was a reason for letting my hubby get that darn motor home :P . Personally I like hotel vacations more than that darn motor home :rolleyes: . Anyway, Brandon will start the prep once we hit the road. It is a 3 hour drive to the children's hospital where his GI doctor is. When we get there he can drink or shall I say choke down the second bottle and spend the rest of the evening in the hotel potty room with his portable DVD player. On a good note, Mom and Dad won't miss the girls on Wisteria Lane :P love that show. Looking for a bright side to all this, can you tell.

Now for the eating issue. Brandon has requested a 1 inch thick T-Bone Steak from the local butcher as his last supper before the prep begins (kid after my own heart). So he gets that meal on Saturday for lunch, yum B) .

Here is my problem, what the heck can I feed him so that he doesn't feel starved on Sunday??? He will be skiing and probably rather hungry at first. The kid doesn't like chicken broth. Jello would work but would he feel full. I do understand and know that once the prep kicks in he more than likely won't even want to eat.

I just feel so guilty, like I passed on these horrid genes to my child. Any suggestions to help make this weekend easier would be greatly appreciated. It is so much easier to deal with, you know trying to find the answer to your health issues; but when it comes to your child, God it is just so much harder. The guilt is so overwhelming.

I apologize for this post being so long. I have found great strength and comfort here before during my struggle to finally figure out what was wrong with me. I am so hating myself right now for possibly passing on my poopy genes :( to my sweet little boy (eventhough he would say he isn't so little anymore).

The poor kid lost 9 pounds last week alone with all the vomiting, thank God he had a little extra to loose.

Thank you all for your support. It is people like you that give me the strength to keep fighting for an answer.

P.S.- Sorry my last post was so long. Thank you for listening.

Rikki Tikki Explorer

JC

Just from my own experience I would be careful about your son having any big meal before the prep. The thing is that whatever goes in has to come out. If I had it to do over again I would of only had clear liquids 2 days prior. Maybe save the big meal for after the procedure.

As for passing the gene onto him, don't feel bad, there are so many things that are worse that you could of passed onto him. I am not upset with my mom for passing it on to me.

Archived