This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help? What Is Wrong With Me?

bentleysmom

bentleysmom Newbie

Hi my name is Lisa and I just celebrated my 42nd birthday on Jan.16. I have been stuggling with something in my body for about 15 years. I just recentley been informed about celiac disease.(please forgive my spelling)

Let me just start off by saying that about 3 years ago I was diagnosed with a chronic disease called Fibromyaligia. I have read some postings that some of you suffer from this.

My systoms are practically the same thing some of you suffer from. Fatigue, muscle/ joint pain.no ambition for anything, I have to physically make myself do things only becase I know other people rely on me for those things. ( I wish they didn't)

I would just like to know. What is wrong with me. I have a friend that was self diagnosed with Celiac Disease. She changed her diet and feels wonderful. Some days I don't hurt. Other days I just wish I could stay in a dark room and not even get out of bed. I just want a life. Other symtoms are headaches, shakey feelings.nervous stomach/ IBS/ nausea/ just basically awful feelings of selfworth. Im desperate for some kind of help,and why hasn't my doctor told me of this. Why did I have to ask him if I had Celiac Disease.

Ive basically over a period of 3 years just settled on that I did have Fibro that I did't question anything else.

I am looking forward to some quidance and support. I am at my wits end. I just want to feel better,be happy,and for my doctor not to say. Lets try this medicine maybe what you are taking isn't working proper.

I have been on every different kind of depression medication that the drug companies provide.

I take pain medication. depression meds, thyroid medication, sleep medication.

Someone please help me.

Thank you all for your time and concern.

Bentleysmom

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi and welcome! I can identify with your symptoms. Celiac can cause anxiety and depression. I got to the point where I did not want to get out of bed in the morning. I no longer felt pleasure in anything I normally would enjoy. My physical symptoms were getting worse at the time, and I felt the same desparation as you do now. I had fatigue and muscle pain--as well as the digestive stuff. I had even sought out alternative medicine--a Kineologist told me that I should never eat wheat, oats, barley or rye. That's the first time anyone told me I should avoid those foods. A light bulb went off, and after 20 years of trying to figure out what was wrong with me, I did some research on my own. I took what little I knew to a gastro. and asked him point blank if I could have a problem with gluten. I was lucky--he listened and agreed I should be tested. I have been gluten-free for 8 months, and while I still have a ways to go--I'm better. The anxiety and depression are greatly reduced. I wake up most days feeling hopeful and the feeling of dread is rare--only when I have a gluten reaction does it come back. Don't wait for your Dr. to suggest a problem with gluten--he probably won't. A lot of Dr's would rather treat the symptoms with meds. and not try and find the cause. At this point, you could request the testing, or you could go 100% gluten-free on your own. If you want to be tested, do not stop eating gluten prior to the test--it will skew the results. If a test result is not important to you, you could begin the gluten-free diet now, and see if it helps--I bet it will! Check in here for any questions you have along the way. Let us know how you do :)

bentleysmom Newbie
Hi my name is Lisa and I just celebrated my 42nd birthday on Jan.16. I have been stuggling with something in my body for about 15 years. I just recentley been informed about celiac disease.(please forgive my spelling)

Let me just start off by saying that about 3 years ago I was diagnosed with a chronic disease called Fibromyaligia. I have read some postings that some of you suffer from this.

My systoms are practically the same thing some of you suffer from. Fatigue, muscle/ joint pain.no ambition for anything, I have to physically make myself do things only becase I know other people rely on me for those things. ( I wish they didn't)

I would just like to know. What is wrong with me. I have a friend that was self diagnosed with Celiac Disease. She changed her diet and feels wonderful. Some days I don't hurt. Other days I just wish I could stay in a dark room and not even get out of bed. I just want a life. Other symtoms are headaches, shakey feelings.nervous stomach/ IBS/ nausea/ just basically awful feelings of selfworth. Im desperate for some kind of help,and why hasn't my doctor told me of this. Why did I have to ask him if I had Celiac Disease.

Ive basically over a period of 3 years just settled on that I did have Fibro that I did't question anything else.

I am looking forward to some quidance and support. I am at my wits end. I just want to feel better,be happy,and for my doctor not to say. Lets try this medicine maybe what you are taking isn't working proper.

I have been on every different kind of depression medication that the drug companies provide.

I take pain medication. depression meds, thyroid medication, sleep medication.

Someone please help me.

Thank you all for your time and concern.

Bentleysmom

Guest nini

welcome, jersey said it very well, sounds like a lot of what I went through as well, depression, anxiety, fibromyalgia, on and on... most Dr.s don't think to look for Celiac because they were taught in medical school that it is so rare they would probably NEVER see it... They were taught wrong... other countries know this better, but for some reason the US has a problem with accepting Celiac as a real diagnosis.

ultimately it is up to you if you want to go spend time and money on testing (with the chance that you will get a Dr. that is not well informed about Celiac and you could get false negative results) OR you could take matters into your own hands and go 100% gluten free immediately and start seeing if your body likes that. I'm willing to bet you will start feeling better rather quickly, BUT it also takes an average of 2 years before most Celiacs are healed enough to REALLY see a difference.

CMCM Rising Star

In the book "Wheat Free, Worry Free by Dana Korn, on page 95 is a long article by a doctor called "Why your doctor wont' test you for celiac disease." One thing this doctor mentions is that her only exposure to celiac disease was about 5 minutes out of 4 years of medical school in a class called Pathology. In this 5 minutes she was told that this "gluten sensitive enteropathy" was a rare condition, treated by diet, and that it classically appeared in the first 2 years of life as a short, malnourished Caucasian child with a big belly (the picture showed a starving 3rd world looking child). Since most doctors don't see celiac patients who look like this, and since this 5 minutes in medical school can be quickly forgotten, you can see why celiac disease isn't on the tip of a doctor's tongue! In this particle, she goes on to give the "Top 10 reasons your doctor won't test you for celiac disease." Very interesting article, and well worth reading.

The whole book is very interesting, informative and useful. Good reading.

The lesson learned is, don't trust your doctor to figure this out. If you do much research on the subject, you will quickly know more than your doctor on the subject.

Sorry state of affairs for a common condition, but that's the way it is right now. :(

Archived