Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coldandhardy

Nuts!-some Nuts Are With Flour Grrrr!

I travel as part of my work. I have often taken a container of mixed nuts along when on the road just in case I passed on a meal due to gluten concerns. Anyway this became quite a habit over time. Being a prudent spender I rationalized once that purchasing bags of cooking nuts and then mixing them and bagging them seemed like a less expensive alternative to purchasing containers of mixed eating nuts. Anway I was surprised when I got really ill from the nuts. In my whole celiac experience I have never been so sick. I could barely sit my bum got so inflamed and sore.

Turns out that cooking nuts sometimes have flour put on them (nothing on the label). I presume it is used to soak up the natural oils when salt is not used as is the case in eating nuts. Needless to say I only buy the salted ones now!

The nuts were not peanuts. They were 1 lb. bags of walnuts, peacans, hazelnuts and almonds. I do not recall the brand names. I purchased them at a large big box bulk store called Costco! I don't know if all of them had flour or just one of them. I got sick on the blend. When I inquired I was told that when salt is not used they put flour on to soak up residual oils

thats unbelievable!!! I love nuts!!!! How weird is this: last week I was shopping at Costco (love that store!), I was debating getting the nuts from there, and didnt!!!! Im so glad I didnt! Thank you!!!

Some types of peanuts use flour in them, too. The little bags my bank gives away states that wheat is used in the coating on the peanuts.